The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4481 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Should have stated above that the info-ads were for flats for sale.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4482 Post by Karearea » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 pm

I make a point of using, with care, my good china, silver, and crystal. Gives me pleasure to do so. Certainly enhances beverages :D

om15 - curious behaviour from Misty, sorry that's happening.
Trying to think if my cats ever did that: they'd claw things if (in my perception) they felt embarrassed or angry, I think.
Hope it can be resolved :-?
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: China from east of Suez....

#4483 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:36 pm

Rossian wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pm
.....before madame and I got wed someone told us about Noritake china available for not a lot in Singapore. ........Probably the best value thing we ever bought in 53 years of married life.......
Snap, Rossian! I also bought a 12 piece Noritake dinner service in Singapore 53 years ago - in the village of Nee Soon not far from the Sembawang gates to be exact. I got it back to the UK on the aircraft carrier I was serving on.

It’s always remained my best china and was hardly ever used. The present Mrs C16 suggested a few months ago that perhaps it ought to be put into daily use after all these years so that’s what has happened.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Slasher

#4484 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:45 am

Morning. 7.30am is the local time here. Clear sky and a chilly 21C.

The out-laws rolled up last night after they rang yesterday saying they needed to come up n dry out from the sopping wet of storm Pabuk. Apsara's brother is minding their store while they're away.

Trouble is they're always up before the chooks (5am is their norm) and make a bit of a racket downstairs making brekky and watching loud TV, mainly because the old bloke is a bit deaf. Like a good Thai daught Apsara clambered out of the cot to join them thus adding to the aural cacophony wafting up the stairs. In so doing I'm roused from my half-asleepness to awareness cursing all the noisy racket. So I got up and join them as there was nothing else to do.

MIL made coffee and toast for me while FIL is screaming in my ear in loud Thai (remember he's a bit deaf). Apsara translated it loosely as "why haven't you got a job yet ya bum?" Ap explained I start a new job next month. FIL rants I should've finished my old job and then immediately slid into the next. 🙄

There was small talk about Pabuk and the old man decided it was time to go to the temple. They all left a few minutes ago.

The little bloke is still out to it and slept through the lot.

I'm going back to bed. Left a note to not bother me till 10am and to keep the bloody racket down!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4485 Post by llondel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:22 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 am
Nothing like the distant click of willow on leather, a cry of "Well played, sir" , and a smattering of palms meeting palms. You know you are in a civilised land when you hear that.
Not necessarily. I often pass a cricket match on the local school playing field at weekends, the local Indian immigrant population play there, so while there might be an oasis of polite civilisation, it is adrift in chaos that surrounds it.

Slasher

#4486 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 am

1pm here. Am in town as the out-laws are shouting us lunch at a very nice restaurant. Ap has put my rabbitry diet on hold since MIL likes to cook for everyone. This is a bonus to me and my stomach as she cooks as well as Ap! Yummy! 😋

After getting back from the temple the old man was requested to STFU and sit on top of the telly. Ap and her mum communicate quietly anyway. This ceased at 10.20 when the TV was turned up and all the yelling started. Yay I got an extra 20 mins sleep in!

I asked my father in law why doesn't he wear a hearing aid. Apsara yelled it in Thai to him and he yelled back. In English he said he hates modern day gadgets and doesn't want anything stuck in his bloody earholes.

Gawd it's like having Mrs Richards staying with us! 🙄

Food has arrived. Time to tuck in! 🥘

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4487 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 am

Slasher wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:01 pm
Yes sah a bit o' rain has been forecasted aboot.

TAF FBMN 050300Z 0509/0518 00000KT 9999 SCT020
BECMG 0512/0514 FEW035CB=

Since you're outside the horizontal limiting boundary for the local TAF then it might be one of them FEW035CBs scraping past you sideways - wind and darkness but no rain.

BTW what bearing and distance is Ascot Manor from the MUB VOR as the Jabiru J250 crow flies?
Not exactly sure Capt but below marks the spot. On Google Earth you can't see the house because of the trees but you can see Squiffy Pussy III on the jetty. The lagoon was very low when the shot was taken so she is actually grounded at an angle to the jetty. The de-bushed area is our fruit and veg plot.

Nice morning. It dripped a bit last evening so no watering today just a mega clean up operation from the winds.
Attachments
We are ear..jpg
SPIII.jpg
SPIII.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 835 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4488 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 am

Slasher wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 am

I asked my father in law why doesn't he wear a hearing aid. Apsara yelled it in Thai to him and he yelled back. In English he said he hates modern day gadgets and doesn't want anything stuck in his bloody earholes.

Gawd it's like having Mrs Richards staying...
Joan Sanderson!

Superb.

Caco

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4489 Post by Ibbie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 am

Good morning. It's another holiday in Spain.

Clear blue and cold again here, 5c ( feels like 2c) at the moment.

Planning to do a recycling trip with glass, paper/cardboard and plastics this morning. Then, when it's warmed up atad, go sit in the sun outside a cafe and watch the world go by.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4490 Post by handsfree » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am

+6C and grey but dry.

An honourable but short mention in this article of 4mastacker's lock
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... al-network

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4491 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:09 am

om15 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:37 pm
Today is a Hob Goblin day, preceded by a visit to Halfords for motorcycle bits which was nice.
Misty managed to get into one of the wardrobes amongst missus om's clobber, found with dresses, jackets and coats on the floor well and truly plucked, I really can't see how this is going to end. We have never experienced any thing like it. The last batch of boy cats used to wander about occasionally absent mindedly raking a setee or some wall paper but nothing like this.
My hand is healing well and I think that I am ok for some light rubbing down so I shall disappear into the shed next week and let the two ladies sort it out between them.
The Christmas crap is boxed and stowed for another year thank goodness.
A cat scratching post is a sound investment.

They can be easily made from old carpet of off cuts of new carpet.
Visit a carpet warehouse and scrounge the centre piece of 'tube' from a roll of carpet and work from there.

These two pictures show the wear over 8 years.
New.jpg
Now.jpg
Now.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 791 times
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4492 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:53 am

handsfree wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:34 am
+6C and grey but dry.

An honourable but short mention in this article of 4mastacker's lock
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... al-network
Interesting article HF thank you. Almost tempted to buy a barge and cruise around but then thought about the weather. They must be damp and cold and expensive to maintain. Wot do you do when it is pissing it down with rain?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4493 Post by Woody » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 am

Having a coffee in the local garden centre, while some East Europeans try to find the original colour of my Audi, juniorwoody refuses to sit in the front as he might catch something :))
Back to Perry Oaks International tomorrow morning, waiting for information on funeral, but think it’s going to be a couple of weeks.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4494 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am

Morning all,
Another crisp clear day, not a cloud to be seen, passing 12c

As *Ibbie* has pointed out another holiday. Well yesterday was the holiday, Kings day 6th Jan, but as it was a Sunday and we are normally not working on a Sunday we'll have Monday off in leiu.
I am not aware of any other country that does this.
One or two shops seem to be ignoring the holiday however.

The Guardian front page promises Robert de Nero expressing his opinion on POTUS, I can't find it but it promises to align with my view of the person.

Going for another look ...................

Found it
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4495 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 am

Plus 8 and icy wind in the Midlands.

Capetonian

Not always smart to hit 'reply to all'

#4496 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am

I found an old group photo taken at dinner with some friends in JNB in about 1980. I am still in contact with one of them it so I scanned it and sent it to her. She forwarded it to the others whom she remains in touch with and instead of using .bcc as I always do, used .cc. Mistake number 1.

One of those, obviously a male, replied to everybody adding the text :
"The redhead on the left is that dirty slut I used to shag ........."
Mistake number 2, as in doing so, he copied her in.

Thank heavens for once I am not guilty!

On another matter : cat scratching post? In my experience the bloody things will scratch and claw everything except that.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Not always smart to hit 'reply to all'

#4497 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 am

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am
On another matter : cat scratching post? In my experience the bloody things will scratch and claw everything except that.
Gotta start em early, and every time they scratch anything else, pick up kitten and put it on the scratching post.

Sneaked inside the Edit Window.
I've had to search through CD archives to find this, but it shows how young the kitten was, when I made the scratching post.
Just 11 years ago,
Young Imo.jpg
Cynicism improves with age

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4498 Post by ricardian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am

Can anyone identify this strange object that was found whilst clearing out an old lady's house?
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Not always smart to hit 'reply to all'

#4499 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:55 am

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am
I found an old group photo taken at dinner with some friends in JNB in about 1980. I am still in contact with one of them it so I scanned it and sent it to her. She forwarded it to the others whom she remains in touch with and instead of using .bcc as I always do, used .cc. Mistake number 1.

One of those, obviously a male, replied to everybody adding the text :
"The redhead on the left is that dirty slut I used to shag ........."
Mistake number 2, as in doing so, he copied her in.

Thank heavens for once I am not guilty!

I get very pissed off with people who do mass e-mails and don't use bcc. I was a member of the XJS Jaguar Owners Club. The spastic who ran it always sent e-mails cc. I told him not to numerous times. In the end I sent a mass e-mail back to all members saying what an idiot he was and that all their addresses were now compromised. He lost many members.

We have a very good friend who was here last year who mass e-mails friends with jokes. He doesn't understand bcc. In this case it doesn't really matter as most are mutual friends.

Getting a bit warm here. Feet in pool with a cold beer in hand. No rain in sight.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4500 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Holidays in Spain, ah yes. Some observed in the North, most not, except by Post Office aka home for lazy idle gits, and the bank. Shops always open except at Chrimbo. Bigger problem which after 25 years I have not sorted out. In ascending order you have: street holidays. Area of town holidays. Town holidays. Province holidays. Autonomous region holidays. National holidays. There are more. Oh yes, local saints days. And more. Lidl opening day. Aldi cheaper wine day. Etc bloody etc.