The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4461 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 am

Nothing like the distant click of willow on leather, a cry of "Well played, sir" , and a smattering of palms meeting palms. You know you are in a civilised land when you hear that.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4462 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:39 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 am
Nothing like the distant click of willow on leather, a cry of "Well played, sir" , and a smattering of palms meeting palms. You know you are in a civilised land when you hear that.

Indeed. A couple of years ago I was coming out of a Twickenham rugby match when some morons started to make that kind of mindless chanting sound so often heard at football matches, when an English chap in a green Berber jacket leaned over and shut them up with a, "I say chaps, wrong game what!"

Caco

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4463 Post by 1DC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 am

We always use our expensive stuff for dinner parties and entertaining ,we occasionally break something but a guest has never broken anything it is always us either when washing them or getting stuff out of the cupboard etc. In fact Oz daughter knocked a sherry schooner out of the cupboard when getting a wine glass out just the other day. Probably a bit daft keeping the crystal in the kitchen with a tiled floor. About five years ago Mrs 1DC got a letter from Spode saying that our Dining collection was being removed from their catalogue and replacements would not be supported.She was offered the option of returning ours and choosing a replacement free of charge or keeping what she had. We decided to keep what we had but bought a few spares before they ceased production. That was a good idea because i broke a cup on Christmas Day, which was a bit of a bugger because i had got them out just in case we wanted to use them and we never did..
The weekend of peace ends tomorrow when the family return from their weekend in Stockholm, The only information i have so far is that the hotel is nice and warm, it is cold outside and her special cold weather gloves aren't very good and they have had a trip on an old boat..

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4464 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:21 am

1DC, the BEST place we discovered is Chinasearch.co.uk

I bought a friend's dinner service in Singapore and he repaid the compliment when I got married the following year -1974. We broke and made a rough and ready repair to the gravy boat. Years later, having registered with them, they emailed and said they had it in stock. Sometime later they contacted us and had a sale. We bought a coffee pot and some more stuff.

Probably a good place to offer part sets to them too.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4465 Post by Ibbie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:38 am

Christmas decorations have been struck and put away till next December.

As usual Mrs IB lost her temper during the process.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4466 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 am

What is the penalty for taking down the decorations before the 6th?
A local pub despatched their outdoor tree on the 3rd . . .

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4467 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 pm

1DC wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 am
About five years ago Mrs 1DC got a letter from Spode saying that our Dining collection was being removed from their catalogue and replacements would not be supported.
We had 2 failures with china.

For a wedding present, we were given a tea set. When we were posted to Cyprus, only 3 months later, we were pleased to find the same pattern in stock in a shop on St. Andrew's St. Limassol and we eventually made up out tea set into a dinner set.

On shipment back to the UK, we had some breakages in our Deep Sea box, on approaching Plowright, Pratt & Harbridge in Kings Lynn they informed us that they had just sold off the last of our pattern, as it had been discontinued.

We decided to replace with an old time honoured pattern, that had been in production for donkey's years and would never go out of production.

We settles on Johnson's Indian Tree!

It went out of production in the late 80's!

We have since used plain white crockery!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4468 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:54 pm

I bought a huge dinner service in HK about 40 years ago. Cost about a fiver. Don't think we have broken anything. Trouble is the expensive stuff doesn't bounce.

On the edge of a huge storm here. Bad winds, garden is getting thrashed but no rain yet.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: China from east of Suez....

#4469 Post by Rossian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pm

.....before madame and I got wed someone told us about Noritake china available for not a lot in Singapore. We put together an order for a 12 place dinner service, tea and coffee sets. I can't rember how much it cost but it couldn't have been a lot as we were two poor Pilot Officers. It came back to Ballykelly in the bombay of a Shackleton with another squadron's crew. Nary a piece was broken.
We never ever did manage to get it all back into the same boxes with the same packaging when it came to subsequent moves.
It has declined over time now reduced occasionally for family use (but not all of them at the same time).
The prices now are way out of reach and the pattern is not recognised by the makers, maybe all that generation have passed away. Probably the best value thing we ever bought in 53 years of married life.

The Ancient Mariner

Capetonian

#4470 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Mrs CPT on is away and I'm taking advantage to have a bit of a clear up at home and I told her I was taking the Christmas decorations and tree down. To say she was pissed off is putting it mildly

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4471 Post by om15 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Today is a Hob Goblin day, preceded by a visit to Halfords for motorcycle bits which was nice.
Misty managed to get into one of the wardrobes amongst missus om's clobber, found with dresses, jackets and coats on the floor well and truly plucked, I really can't see how this is going to end. We have never experienced any thing like it. The last batch of boy cats used to wander about occasionally absent mindedly raking a setee or some wall paper but nothing like this.
My hand is healing well and I think that I am ok for some light rubbing down so I shall disappear into the shed next week and let the two ladies sort it out between them.
The Christmas crap is boxed and stowed for another year thank goodness.

Slasher

#4472 Post by Slasher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Yes sah a bit o' rain has been forecasted aboot.

TAF FBMN 050300Z 0509/0518 00000KT 9999 SCT020
BECMG 0512/0514 FEW035CB=

Since you're outside the horizontal limiting boundary for the local TAF then it might be one of them FEW035CBs scraping past you sideways - wind and darkness but no rain.

BTW what bearing and distance is Ascot Manor from the MUB VOR as the Jabiru J250 crow flies?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4473 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:54 pm
On the edge of a huge storm here. Bad winds, garden is getting thrashed but no rain yet.

Think about the fun you could be having right now in your very own Light Sport Aircraft running into Maun at low level just ahead the storm's roll cloud, low on fuel, wind shear coming up the yazoo and the aircraft shaking all over like a piece of polony sausage in the devil's hellish back passage!

Caco

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4474 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Rather chuffed with meself that I have sorted junior daughter's petrol strimmer, which had seized up, considering I find changing the fuse in a plug technologically challenging. Damn thing sparked up first time after I had dismantled it and put it back together. Anyone got a spare Saturn V they want fettling? ;)))

Crimmy decs now packed and stowed - only 350 days to go before the cycle repeats itself.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4475 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm

There are three people in our marriage, my, the wife and Alexa.

Mrs PN is laid up with a broken ankle so I have been walking and training our puppy. For a terrier she is particularly quick to pick up and will return on whistle or hand signal.

Well we were discussing her training today. Moments later up popped a screen I had not seen before (on my Kindle Fire) offering a GPS tracker, a pooper scooper and a training collar. Nothing we had mentioned but potentially relevant.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4476 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm
There are three people in our marriage, my, the wife and Alexa.

Mrs PN is laid up with a broken ankle so I have been walking and training our puppy. For a terrier she is particularly quick to pick up and will return on whistle or hand signal.

Well we were discussing her training today. Moments later up popped a screen I had not seen before (on my Kindle Fire) offering a GPS tracker, a pooper scooper and a training collar. Nothing we had mentioned but potentially relevant.

Caco

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#4477 Post by Groundgripper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:56 pm

and Alexa.
Don't trust those things. =;

All decorations safely packed away and stored in the loft here, too. We've managed not to break anything for the last couple of years; the last thing to go was at Christmas 2015, a tree decoration we had bought in Bergen that summer. It made a break for freedom as I got it out of its box and shattered when it hit the floor about two feet short of the tree. :((

Last September we were on holiday in Scotland and visited the Caithness glass visitor centre at Crieff. SM wanted some glass to add to her collection but then saw a rather nice antique gold ring with tigers eye stone. She decided she couldn't really afford it at £75 along with the glass so, when she was otherwise engaged I nipped back and bought the ring for her, thereby earning myself a few brownie points. o:-)
Last thursday evening she was taking her rings off in the bedroom before going to bed and the tigers eye one, which was a bit small and a tight fit on her finger, flicked off and disappeared. We still haven't found it despite repeated searches gradually expanding the search area to include the rest of the house, the car, and the Rifle Club and pub we'd visited earlier in the evening. The ladies in the pub were very concerned, even emptying the bag of the vacuum cleaner that had been used the following morning to clean the bar. X(

Still no luck. Sigh! :((

GG

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4478 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Mrs OFSO lost a pearl earring at the beginning of last year. We (and lovely Rachael the Cleaner) stripped the house. Filters in washing machines examined, vacuum cleaners emptied etc. No luck. Mrs OFSO asked Laura the Italian jeweller in Castelló to obtain a replica. Six months later the missing earing appeared in the middle of the bathroom floor. Only one explanation: the gremlins who stole (or found) it had become bored with it and returned it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4479 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Mrs PN lost an Alexandrite stone from a bracelet on a cruise ship. Searched everywhere, asked in the bar etc. When the place cleared at dinner time I went lifted a chair and retrieved the stone.

Another time, leaving the Royal Academy, it was dark, the ground was wet. We saw a group of people milling around looking for something. I asked; it was an earring so I picked it and gave it to them.

GG, my other search method was to discard an identical item in the same manner then pick them both up 😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4480 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:11 pm

A Sunday Lunch with friends, discussing to where we move next, flats etc. After friend left, checked my Google feed on phone. Three info-ads on my Google Feed that were not there before.... As far as I am concerned the matter is proven: Google listens !