By the skin of his teeth........

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

By the skin of his teeth........

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon May 27, 2024 10:02 am

A well flown emergency - a different story perhaps if he had lowered his undercarriage...
https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/c900npw99j2o
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: By the skin of his teeth........

#2 Post by llondel » Mon May 27, 2024 4:13 pm

I assume that with no engine, it would take time to lower the undercarriage, or does gravity extension work on light aircraft too? He theoretically had a short window to pull a lever once he'd cleared the last building, but he was probably concentrating on more important matters, and I assume that partially-extended gear might have had a worse outcome than leaving it up.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon May 27, 2024 4:39 pm

Looks as if he may not have made it with gear down.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 27, 2024 4:44 pm

All but the earliest models of C210s have an electro-hydraulic gear extension system. An electric motor driving a hydraulic pump. The first models had an engine driven hydraulic pump.
Procedure is to open access door and 30-35 pumps to lower gear.
If he had extended the gear when he had sufficient time to do so the extra drag from the gear would not have allowed him to make the field judging from the video.
Plane will live to fly another day.

POH for C210N:
Section 3-10

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Reference_D ... canned.pdf

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Mon May 27, 2024 7:46 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:44 pm
All but the earliest models of C210s have an electro-hydraulic gear extension system. An electric motor driving a hydraulic pump. The first models had an engine driven hydraulic pump.
Procedure is to open access door and 30-35 pumps to lower gear.
If he had extended the gear when he had sufficient time to do so the extra drag from the gear would not have allowed him to make the field judging from the video.
Plane will live to fly another day.
I assumed he kept the gear up for minimum drag, and I guess there wasn't enough time after clearing the last building - I reckon four seconds from there to impact. His left wing didn't look like it had much clearance from the roof as he banked slightly, obviously attempting to line up with the taxiway.

Who was taking the video of his approach?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Mon May 27, 2024 7:52 pm

And of course the security guy turns up at the end to tell him "You can't park that there, mate".

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 27, 2024 7:56 pm

After further contemplation I realized that while the engine was out , the electrical system was still working. He was making radio transmissions.
Flap deployment (electric) after assurance that the buildings would be cleared and gear down selection might have worked, but it would have been close.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Mon May 27, 2024 8:15 pm

Trying to look at it on Google Maps, which appear to be a bit out of date because that last building is not present, it's just open field. I think he's coming into Bankstown from the north (presumably the approach would have been round to the east and then in on a runway), flying parallel to Surrey Avenue, then as he crosses the main road, the building he just clears isn't shown.

Archer
Snr FO
Snr FO

#9 Post by Archer » Tue May 28, 2024 8:05 am

A C210 gear takes a bit of time to go down completely and you may get more trouble from landing with a partially extended gear than with one that is up. The gear geometry on these Cessnas is a bit weird, look it up on youtube.
--
A Little VC10derness - https://www.VC10.net