Russian airliner missing

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt
Re: Russian airliner missing

#21 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:46 pm

I think it's just a teeny bit too big of a coincidence that Russia deploys to Syria and an aircraft that had no snags reported by the crew in the log prior to lift mysteriously falls out of the sky.
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Airborne Aircrew wrote:I think it's just a teeny bit too big of a coincidence that Russia deploys to Syria and an aircraft that had no snags reported by the crew in the log prior to lift mysteriously falls out of the sky.

Roger that. My thinking as well. I seriously doubt, IF this was ISIS, the aircraft was taken down by a SAM. More likely a bomb on board. Interesting that the aircraft had just gotten to cruising altitude when the ***** hit the fan. Almost similar to the Lockerbie disaster.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:06 pm

I couldn't agree more mate... Just... Odd...

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Islamic State (ISIS) militants say they are responsible for the crash of a Russian airliner in Egypt Saturday that killed 224 people and claim they will soon reveal how they did it, writes Aaron Klein at WND.com.

According to Klein, an ISIS leader in Gaza speaking on condition of anonymity told him that "in the Russian plane operation our brothers used their brains more than their bullets or their explosives. It was part of a brains war."

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by 500N » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:32 pm

rgbrock1 wrote:If the loss of this aircraft, and all souls on board, is ever traced back to ISIS I think we'll see the Russian bombing campaign step up ten fold. At a minimum.

That's an understatement. And not just bombings, boots on ground, raids.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by 500N » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:34 pm

At the height it doesn't take a huge amount to cause a break up, using the explosive decompression
to the full effect if it is placed correctly. As you say, Lockerbie.

obgraham
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by obgraham » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:21 am

It's as clear as the nose on my mug that this aircraft was destroyed by some nefarious perpetration. I'm amazed that folks here and at 'Tother Place seem to be dancing around the issue.

When it turns out to be just an unfortunate accident you expert aviators can call me stupid and an alarmist. Until then, I'm sticking to my uneducated but probably true opinion.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by ian16th » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:04 am

I don't know what happened!

Now I've got that out of the way, I am interested though and have given up following the thread at TOP. To many armchair theorists.

Some questions; who will be decoding the two Flight Recorders, where and when will this be done?
In the online Telegraph this quote has appeared:

Cockpit recordings suggest pilots did not manage to send distress signal after sudden situation developed

Russia's Interfax news service has seen a transcript of the cockpit recordings.

The crew had a routine exchange with air traffic controllers four minutes before the aircraft vanished from radar screens, and they did not mention anything unusual or any other object near the aircraft.

"Sounds uncharacteristic of routine flight were recorded preceding the moment that the aircraft disappeared from radar screens."

The crew did not send any distress signal, the source said.

"Judging by the recording, a situation on board developed suddenly and unexpectedly for the crew, and as a result the pilots did not manage to send a distress signal," the source added.

Is it to be believed?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 am

I suggest you believe nothing until it is an official release.Follow TOP thread with a wary eye. The moderation is, as usual, not always constructive. There is some good info there, but it runs the risk, as ever, of being 'blatted'.

Of course, as ever, ignore the Daily Wail.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by 500N » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:21 am

I haven't read much on this but have seen brief mentions of bulkhead etc so maybe someone can answer this.

Have people been saying a bulkhead exploded at the rear or the front of the aircraft ?

Reason for asking is if the rear, is it unusual that the pilots didn't send a distress signal ?
Would an explosive situation with the bulkhead 100% cause immediate decompression ?

I say because the Learjet that had it's tail shot off, it didn't suffer explosive decompression and the 4 people inside
were alive and the pilot / co pilot were able to transmit all the way down and did so.

So, does it mean the Pilot / Co Pilot were knocked out / unconscious immediately ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 am

There is a suggestion that the REAR pressure bulkhead (which may have been damaged and then repaired following a previous recorded tailstrike by a previous operator) may have failed. If so, it is likely that significant damage/disruption would then be caused to the rear control surfaces and the resulting upset would probably render communication impossible. The manoueuvres of the aircraft should be extractable from the recorder but the recordings would of course cease if the tail section separated.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm

500N wrote:I haven't read much on this but have seen brief mentions of bulkhead etc so maybe someone can answer this.

Have people been saying a bulkhead exploded at the rear or the front of the aircraft ?

Reason for asking is if the rear, is it unusual that the pilots didn't send a distress signal ?

Not unusual I would think. If you remember back to AF447 no distress signal was sent. Nor was one sent during the mid-air explosion of Pan Am flt. 800.
Nor Pan Am flt. 103. Nor the aircraft which crashed into the Everglades of Florida a number of years ago. Nor MH370. Nor MH13. Etc......

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#33 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 pm

The radio here is reporting that a US satellite detected a heat source in the region of the crash at the time of the crash. They're trying to decide if it was of a long duration then was it a missile. If of short duration was it an engine exploding, and on-board explosion or was it the impact...

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:11 pm

Airborne Aircrew wrote:The radio here is reporting that a US satellite detected a heat source in the region of the crash at the time of the crash. They're trying to decide if it was of a long duration then was it a missile. If of short duration was it an engine exploding, and on-board explosion or was it the impact...

I may not know a helluva lot about aviation but it would seem odd to me that an exploding engine would destroy an entire aircraft.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:20 pm

China Airlines Flight 611 (callsign Dynasty 611) was a regularly scheduled passenger flight from Chiang Kai-shek International Airport (now Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport) in Taiwan to Hong Kong International Airport in Hong Kong. On 25 May 2002, the Boeing 747-209B operating the route disintegrated in mid-air and crashed into the Taiwan Strait 20 minutes after takeoff, killing all 225 people on board. The in-flight break-up was caused by improper repairs to the aircraft 22 years earlier. The final investigation report found that the accident was the result of metal fatigue caused by inadequate maintenance after an earlier tailstrike incident.

The Russian aircraft destroyed on 31 October had undergone a tailstrike back in 2001.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by om15 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Reports this evening indicate that the bodies show signs of an explosion. Starting to point away from mechanical failure.

Cacophonix

#37 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Whatever the cause of this dreadful crash, some of the ongoing revelations about the state of the Russian Civil Aviation sector and its poor safety record have decided me never to fly with a Russian carrier again...

Caco

Capetonian

#38 Post by Capetonian » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:22 am

As ever, it's a combination of circumstances.
    Poor governance and lack of oversight in the industry
    Corruption from the top downwards
    Political events making a targeted attack likely
    Overflying unstable areas
    Lack of funds

I'd feel safer on O'Leary's airline than on a Russian one, in fact I'm concerned for friends of mine who are going to Thailand next month on Aeroflot, chosen purely because it was the cheapest.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by rgbrock1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Many moons ago I flew an Aeroflot/Aeroflop flight from then West Berlin - Tempelhof? - to Moscow. I vowed never, ever again to fly with that airline. I don't recall off-hand how long the flight was but I do recall having white knuckles the entire ride. And then some. (It didn't help that some sort of Russian Orthodox religious figure was on board and praying the whole time.)

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by 500N » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 pm

My dad had to fly to Siberia once, said the aircraft and the helo ride were something else, real eye openers.

I think the Helo was a Hind.