Easyjet emergency Geneva

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Easyjet emergency Geneva

#1 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:04 am

This popped up on Airlive. I would not normally link to these R/T recordings except for 2 things:

1) The Easy Swiss and ATC handling of it seemed to be excellent to me, although I think EZ13BZ would have been better staying a bit quieter (I'm surprised he didn't ask Geneva ATC for his expected stand in Lyon..... :)) )

2) WHY was AF63 speaking in French and why was ATC responding in French? It merely aggravates any loss of situational awareness in everyone else.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Easyjet emergency Geneva

#2 Post by tango15 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:21 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:04 am
This popped up on Airlive. I would not normally link to these R/T recordings except for 2 things:

1) The Easy Swiss and ATC handling of it seemed to be excellent to me, although I think EZ13BZ would have been better staying a bit quieter (I'm surprised he didn't ask Geneva ATC for his expected stand in Lyon..... :)) )

:-bd

2) WHY was AF63 speaking in French and why was ATC responding in French? It merely aggravates any loss of situational awareness in everyone else.
Vive la France! (Maybe if it had been Zurich he would have spoken in English :) )

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:33 am

T15 wrote:Vive la France! (Maybe if it had been Zurich he would have spoken in English :) )
Ferzackerly!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:35 am

The French have always understood why you have to have rules...

..but not why you have to obey them.

Using R/T, whether air or maritime, I have always spoken French to French operators, and never had a problem with the service. Fortunately, I have a bit of a Parisian accent. Those speaking English, however...

Same goes for Montreal airport as a passenger.

I mean, you're quite right about the air picture, but this is part of cultural preservation for the French.

First things putin's minions did in occupied Ukraine was to forbid the speaking of Ukrainian in schools, and started burning all the Ukrainian books.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:57 am

If I had been on frequency I would have said, 'Speak English you frog bastards'. In an American accent.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:17 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:57 am
If I had been on frequency I would have said, 'Speak English you frog bastards'. In an American accent.
For some reason you are charged to teach perfection in these fora: the American accent addition is just so perfect.