King Air 200 crash at Chigwell

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: King Air 200 crash at Chigwell

#21 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Speaking of dirty secrets, my mum used to be part of the fit-outs section at DH for the Comet. For the Hajj run, the Arab Charters at the time planned on fitting no passenger loos at all. She persuaded them, eventually, to fit one.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by reddo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:33 am

There is a king air sim at Flight Safety in Farnborough. I would be very surprised if LEA did not use it. I do see king air sim recurrents happening when we are there. There is talk of very nasty somatogravic illusion kicking in.
Or someone was distracted at the wrong time...
Or both.
My pet hate with ATC is that right at our 1,000' point (flap retraction flow PNF, climb thrust settings PF) - ATC talk to you. I tend to do the flow and then get back to ATC ASAP. As much as they must hate it, flying comes first. If I can, I'll have the next freq ready so that lessens the mental workload of the flow, RT and remembering a freq change. Ironically, if they called at 500', no problem.

I have had the leans after take off (PNF) because I had to raise the gear. (Head movement coupled with the pitch/acceleration of the initial climb).
Time will tell after the investigators have done their thing.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#23 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Oh, for goodness sake reddo. So you can't drink your coffee at the same time either? Come on, multi task. That's your job.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix

#24 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:22 pm

reddo wrote:There is a king air sim at Flight Safety in Farnborough. I would be very surprised if LEA did not use it. I do see king air sim recurrents happening when we are there. There is talk of very nasty somatogravic illusion kicking in.
Or both.
My pet hate with ATC is that right at our 1,000' point (flap retraction flow PNF, climb thrust settings PF) - ATC talk to you. I tend to do the flow and then get back to ATC ASAP. As much as they must hate it, flying comes first. If I can, I'll have the next freq ready so that lessens the mental workload of the flow, RT and remembering a freq change. Ironically, if they called at 500', no problem.

I have had the leans after take off (PNF) because I had to raise the gear. (Head movement coupled with the pitch/acceleration of the initial climb).

Was a foggy morning with patches on the deck and overcast at +- 100 feet around the time of the accident... Stapleford is radio only and with no VFR traffic around I would think that unless they were talking to Southend Approach at the time (which is possible) they would have been unlikely to have been disturbed by an ATC instruction from Stapleford while departing (but as you so correctly say, wait for the AAIB).

Tragic really, two young guys with families...

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/Footage-emerges-fatal-Chigwell-plane-crash/story-27952577-detail/story.html#1

Caco

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:03 pm

reddo - as a retired ATCO feel you're being unfair about us daring to talk to you, you'd be in a pickle if we didn't :ymdevil:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Cacophonix

#26 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:17 pm

disturbed by an ATC instruction from Stapleford while

Badly put as it implies that Stapleford could give an instruction. which as Stapleford Radio they can't. What I meant was that Stapleford radio would have been unlikely to have called the Kingair so soon after departure to issue any informational updates.

Edited to say that they would almost certainly wouldn't have been talking to Southend Approach but could have been talking to Southend Radar.

Not one of the better posts I have made in my life.

Caco

MoreBloodyAviation

#27 Post by MoreBloodyAviation » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
reddo wrote:There is a king air sim at Flight Safety in Farnborough. I would be very surprised if LEA did not use it. I do see king air sim recurrents happening when we are there. There is talk of very nasty somatogravic illusion kicking in.
Or both.

Was a foggy morning with patches on the deck and overcast at +- 100 feet around the time of the accident... Stapleford is radio only and with no VFR traffic around I would think that unless they were talking to Southend Approach at the time (which is possible) they would have been unlikely to have been disturbed by an ATC instruction from Stapleford while departing (but as you so correctly say, wait for the AAIB).

http://www.brentwoodgazette.co.uk/Footage-emerges-fatal-Chigwell-plane-crash/story-27952577-detail/story.html#1

Caco

Exactly a year and one day since this tragedy occurred. The AAIB are scheduled to release their report this month.

MBA

MoreBloodyAviation

#28 Post by MoreBloodyAviation » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Or both.

Caco

Exactly a year since this tragedy occurred. The AAIB are scheduled to release their report this month.

MBA

More Aviation

#29 Post by More Aviation » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 pm

The AAIB report is out and we are not much the wiser.

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-in ... air-g-bycp

MA