The Via Media

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
The Via Media

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Mon May 08, 2023 10:46 am

In an ever polarized world, where social media, the enormous number of often tendentious internet commentators and sundry other loons, not to mention dubious politicians and their spin doctors and advisors along with the divisive partisan press and TV pundits, it is easy for the "reasonable man or woman to to despair and disengage from the process of politics at any level.

Well known and respected commentator Rafael Behr's new book" Politics: A Survivor's Guide: How to Stay Engaged without Getting Enraged" is a clarion call to the via media, and a balm for those who are still engaged and whose blood pressure levels are too high.

“This is a book about the ways a healthy democracy should connect people to each other and to the place they call home. It is about the toxic politics that reverse and disrupt that process. It is about the failures at the heart of democracy…” So says Rafael Behr. His project was conceived and written in the aftermath of a heart attack that very nearly did for him at the age of 45.

He writes during a period of turbulence. Across Europe and in the US, populists of right and left, often under the cloak of nationalism, are on the rise. UK politics during the past decade has been a rollercoaster, both main parties having succumbed to takeovers by cults. Meanwhile the world beyond fortress Europe appears to be disintegrating, and looming ever larger over our comfortable little lives are the potentially existential threats of global heating and mass migration.

In recent years the centre ground has become an increasingly lonely outpost. Politicians, never high in public esteem, now rank lower than ever. Democracy, says Behr, is in danger of becoming “fracked” by hyper-cynicism, causing many sensible, decent people to disengage.

Though not without strongly held opinions, the author is very firmly a creature of the centre. A distinguished Guardian (and formerly Observer) political commentator, he writes with elegance and honesty and his judgments are balanced. A voice of reason in an otherwise polarised world. In part this is a memoir. Born and bred in Finchley (Margaret Thatcher’s constituency), he is the son of a Jewish family who migrated to the UK by way of Lithuania and South Africa. As a young journalist around the turn of the century, he cut his teeth as a correspondent for the Financial Times in Moscow, where he had a first-hand view of a dysfunctional society in which democracy is an alien concept.

He writes amusingly and perceptively of those he dubs “Brexit Bolsheviks” and “grievance miners”. He writes, too, of “outrage inflation” – the impact of social media on contemporary political discourse. Confected outrage, a phenomenon hitherto confined to the tabloids, has now begun to infect liberal outlets. “In the 21st-century media, the intensity with which an opinion is held has come to serve as a proxy for its value in a debate. The more ardent the feeling the more deserving it is of attention… A handful of online fulminators will suffice for the threshold of newsworthy outrage to be met.”

One issue the author does not address in any detail is the insidious rise of so-called dog-whistle politics, in which political parties hammer away at one another, focusing on issues they hope will arouse fear and loathing among the righteous. Like most such political diseases, it began in America and was introduced to these shores by Lynton Crosby, an Australian. Until recently, dog whistling was largely the preserve of the Conservative party, but the recent Labour campaign alleging Rishi Sunak is soft on paedophiles suggests that the disease is infectious. It is hard to think of anything more likely to put decent people off politics.

It is usual for books of this nature to conclude with a wishlist of measures that, in the eyes of the author, are essential for a better world – proportional representation, a wealth tax, a new centre-ground political party and so on. Behr does nothing of the sort. Instead he offers “perspectives”. His only plea is that rational, sensible people should not disengage from the political process, leaving it to those on the extremes of right and left. “There is no harm in having steadfast beliefs. The danger comes when opinions are held with such intensity that criticism is construed as treason and reasonable challenge denounced as heresy.”

“British democracy has many flaws,” he says, “but it isn’t a sham… Complacency is dangerous, but there is also a hazard in oversteering away from the centre, swerving in hot pursuit of white-knuckle radicals to the left and right who despise incremental reform and dismiss moderate improvement as tantamount to none. For them the destination is less important than the thrill of the ride.” Or, to put it another way, be careful what you wish for.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/ ... tre-ground

I bought this book on Friday and finished it yesterday. I highly recommend it, to those open minded people who have grown tired of all the fulmination and sturm und drang!

NB - It can be acquired for £7.99 or for less than £16.00 on Amazon for those who might be tempted to read it and aspire to the via media.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Via Media

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 08, 2023 11:58 am

Stay engaged with what?

The "political process" does not produce people who either care about, or are capable of solving, the problems of the average voter.

Same applies to the media, all forms.

There's no point engaging with liars or idiots.

My school motto was Medioc Ria Firma, which is basically the same thing as Ria Media

This was adopted way back, and is the Bacon family motto (Francis Bacon, 1st Lord Verulam, the philosopher)

We used to have long discussions about the motto, from which I would question the assumptions the author appears to be making.

Firstly, that the road he wishes to stay in the middle of is going anywhere we want to go.
Secondly, that what politicians say and what they do are in any way connected.
Thirdly, that his use of Left and Right have any validity.

I disagree with
it is easy for the "reasonable man or woman to despair and disengage from the process of politics at any level.
It's actually very hard indeed to do this, because politics ought to be very important and consequential. Everyone I have spoken to is very upset about having to disengage, but they wish to save their sanity.
I think it shows the author is disconnected from the average person in that he thinks it's easy.

The truth is:
It is reasonable for any man or woman to disengage from the process of politics, as it currently is, at any level.

I am surrounded by reasonable men and women where I now live. We had record low turnout at the recent elections, way below anything previously, for a region that historically has had just about the highest turnout anywhere in western democracy.
Half the towns in my area now do not have a mayor - nobody stood as a candidate. There were only just enough candidates to fill the posts of councillors, and that only because people understand that the lights need to stay on and the drains kept working.
It's so low the politicians and media aren't even talking about it.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OneHungLow » Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:58 am
Stay engaged with what?

The "political process" does not produce people who either care about, or are capable of solving, the problems of the average voter.

Same applies to the media, all forms.

There's no point engaging with liars or idiots.

My school motto was Medioc Ria Firma, which is basically the same thing as Ria Media

This was adopted way back, and is the Bacon family motto (Francis Bacon, 1st Lord Verulam, the philosopher)

We used to have long discussions about the motto, from which I would question the assumptions the author appears to be making.

Firstly, that the road he wishes to stay in the middle of is going anywhere we want to go.
Secondly, that what politicians say and what they do are in any way connected.
Thirdly, that his use of Left and Right have any validity.

I disagree with
it is easy for the "reasonable man or woman to despair and disengage from the process of politics at any level.
It's actually very hard indeed to do this, because politics ought to be very important and consequential. Everyone I have spoken to is very upset about having to disengage, but they wish to save their sanity.
I think it shows the author is disconnected from the average person in that he thinks it's easy.

The truth is:
It is reasonable for any man or woman to disengage from the process of politics, as it currently is, at any level.

I am surrounded by reasonable men and women where I now live. We had record low turnout at the recent elections, way below anything previously, for a region that historically has had just about the highest turnout anywhere in western democracy.
Half the towns in my area now do not have a mayor - nobody stood as a candidate. There were only just enough candidates to fill the posts of councillors, and that only because people understand that the lights need to stay on and the drains kept working.
It's so low the politicians and media aren't even talking about it.

Yours is a very gloomy perspective indeed Fox3. No participation based upon a sense of what precisely? Disenfranchisement, disgust or despair at the political participants or the process itself? What is the basis of these people's disengagement or civic torpor? How can one ameliorate or change anything without engagement? Such a lack of participation creates a dangerous vacuum which may be filled by a litany of villains and malign forces imbued with the will to action!
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 08, 2023 2:57 pm

I think despair answers your first question. The views expressed to me are that the politicians are actually incapable of fixing the problems, whichever party is chosen. They are either too stupid, too corrupt, too cowardly, or too disconnected from ordinary people - and usually all four (Justin Trudeau is a fine example)- to be capable of doing anything positive. What particularly angered a couple of my friends here was that the Premier, having failed to achieve any of his previous election promises, was campaigning on the claim that he had achieved 80% of them.
Personally, I think the current system of political parties actively excludes people becoming candidates who are capable of fixing the problems, and the same applies to bureaucracies. It is not possible to get people to understand something when their livelihood depends on them not understanding it. The system is unfixable. Part of the system, of course is the average voter. And I am with Churchill in my views of the average voter. People do not, and I think are incapable of, voting for an independent with (compared to the status quo) radical policies. That's the average voter as "People", not you and me. I think that's a problem with human psychology.

People are not disengaging..the politicians have disengaged them. And there's no point giving such a system a veneer of validity by turning up to vote.

Not voting doesn't create a dangerous vacuum. The politicians don't care two hoots how people vote because it doesn't affect things. Indeed, I think criticizing people for not voting is blaming the victim.

What will create a dangerous vacuum is the functional collapse of society brought about by the politicians, and I think that is coming soon.
I agree with you that a litany of villains will turn up - they always do. We know what happened after the collapse of the Weimar Republic, the Roman Empire, etc.

I can't fix it. I have distanced myself from the problem. My local society, which does not include a single city, will not collapse. You do what you like.
And even if western civilization were not collapsing, I like it here!

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Smeagol » Mon May 08, 2023 4:43 pm

Find myself agreeing with much of what Fox3 says.
At the recent local elections here in the UK I was annoyed with the whole system enough to write across my ballot paper "NONE OF THE ABOVE", thereby spoiling it and not registering a vote. My vote would have made no difference to the result anyway.
What was noticeable about the results in my local area was the turnout in the various wards, all bar one were in the mid to high 20 percentage, meaning over 70% could not be bothered to vote. The one exception was where an independent candidate was running where over 50% of the eligible electorate actually voted and over 99% of them voted for the independent! He received over 1000 votes compared to the 26 and 25 of the two mainstream parties. Shame it was not the ward in which I reside or I may have cast a valid vote.
We hates Bagginses!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Wodrick » Mon May 08, 2023 5:08 pm

For the parliamentary elections I tended to vote on party lines, difficult when your MP was George Osborne. But for the council I voted for the man, seem to recall he was a Lib Dem, lived round the corner and listened (or seemed to !)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 08, 2023 5:21 pm

I think that's a general trend, Smeagol and Wodrick. People are less inclined to vote Independent the larger the grouping.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Smeagol » Mon May 08, 2023 5:25 pm

Very sensible Wodders, my problem is that I had no personal knowledge about any of the candidates in my ward (only mainstream parties standing, Conservative and Labour) but I do know personally several other councillors from both sides of the divide...,.and would not want to vote for any of them!
We hates Bagginses!