The shooting of Yassar Yaqub

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The shooting of Yassar Yaqub

#1 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Whilst I endorse the ridding of society of people like this person (as he was reported to be), I find myself with a slight unease since the police force involved was the West Yorkshire Police, a force heavily criticised for a lot of its actions.

It is obvious that we must have some sort of proces to establish what happed, since the thought of 'summary execution' by the police, whilst possibly atttractive, does require monitoring to see that it is the correct action.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The shooting of Yassar Yaqub

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:20 pm

Living in funny times. What with Duterte in Philippines advocating vigilantism with regard to drug dealers, with no requirement for specific evidence, and Netanyahu in Israel calling for a pardon for Israeli soldier who deliberately shot a wounded Arab in cold blood. And with western evidentiary requirements allowing many obviously guilty perpetrators to walk free from our courts, so what is the solution?

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 pm

There seems no doubt what this Yasser creature was up to.
Bang - problem solved
Bang bang - just making sure.
More news like this, please.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by 500N » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Capetonian wrote:There seems no doubt what this Yasser creature was up to.
Bang - problem solved
Bang bang - just making sure.
More news like this, please.

Agree.

More ops like the SAS in Gibraltar as well.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Alisoncc wrote:so what is the solution?

I would like to see the return of the death penalty by hanging. In the UK, if a person is convicted of carrying a weapon with the intent of using it to take a life, then their life should be automatically forfeit, with minimum channels of appeal. Possibly extending it to include drug dealers who deal in substantial quantities of drugs. In both cases effectively removing any option of a cushy existence in some prison.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Capetonian wrote:There seems no doubt what this Yasser creature was up to.
-?? Has there been a statement from the police about why he was stopped? I have not seen one. You obviously know what he was 'up to' do you? Could you share that?

I hear now that there was no use of body-cams. A little odd for a pre-planned operation.

stuart
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by stuart » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Obviously a nasty piece of work but I wouldn't be surprised to see a policeman in front of the beak for this, lets see.
it's good to be bad.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by BenThere » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 pm

So why is it the agents of society have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's while the enemies of society are free to just blow up things and kill people, and are then given a taxpayer funded lawyer to defend them? Then the public seems to be prone to attack those defending it. There needs to be a better balance.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Boac wrote:[

I hear now that there was no use of body-cams. A little odd for a pre-planned operation.

Are you crazy ?

If u can avoid cameras, you should.

Look at Soldier A

I agree though, I think a copper will be in front of a judge at some point.

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:02 am

-?? Has there been a statement from the police about why he was stopped? I have not seen one. You obviously know what he was 'up to' do you? Could you share that?

He was a known dealer and criminal. The earth is a better place without one less piece of ***** like him.
Who cares why he was stopped? Maybe his car wasn't insured.
What matters is the result and it was a good one.
Or perhaps you have proof of his innocence?

Cacophonix

#11 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 am

Capetonian wrote:

He was a known dealer and criminal. The earth is a better place without one less piece of *sh*t* like him.
Who cares why he was stopped? Maybe his car wasn't insured.
What matters is the result and it was a good one.
Or perhaps you have proof of his innocence?

People with views like yours and your obvious contempt for due process and the law should be disbarred from sitting on juries and perhaps, here I put forward a modest proposal, your own notions or illiberal principles should be applied against you. For all we know you could be a criminal. Maybe you are and a good pistol whipping or being shot would do you the world of good! Just in case you see because you never know!

Better still move to the Philippines where you and Duterte would right up each other's alleys!

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:15 am

And you lefty do-gooding liberals with your sickening sycophantry and posturing make me want to puke.

Cacophonix

#13 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:19 am

Justice is neither right or left wing, however your stupidity and lack of respect for justice, decency and the law makes you uniquely noticeable! Vomit on that!

Capetonian

#14 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 am

Filth like this person do not deserve the privilege, decency, and protection of civilised law.
A bullet is too quick, too kind, and too painless for such bottom feeding pondlife.

admin
Chief Engineer

#15 Post by admin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:32 am

Enough of the heated rhetoric and personal abuse please. Thanks.

Admin/Alison

Slasher

#16 Post by Slasher » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:09 am

For those knocking Duterte, it might be too late now with the numbers down but actually go to the Flipperines and check out especially the Southern areas as far down as Palewan, and see how these filthy traffickers and drug lords operate. Then you'll be in a reasonably informed position to pass opinion. Thank you.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:22 am

Capetonian wrote:Or perhaps you have proof of his innocence?
no, but note I do not suggest on the internet I have.

The danger of allowing/encouraging summary executions is that the road to lawlessness is clear.

Cacophonix

#18 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 am

Boac wrote:
Capetonian wrote:Or perhaps you have proof of his innocence?
no, but note I do not suggest on the internet I have.

The danger of allowing/encouraging summary executions is that the road to lawlessness is clear.

+1 :-bd

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by ian16th » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Alisoncc wrote:so what is the solution?

I would like to see the return of the death penalty by hanging. In the UK, if a person is convicted of carrying a weapon with the intent of using it to take a life, then their life should be automatically forfeit, with minimum channels of appeal. Possibly extending it to include drug dealers who deal in substantial quantities of drugs. In both cases effectively removing any option of a cushy existence in some prison.

Alison

The problem that I have with the death penalty in the UK and countries with similar legal systems, that is a jury and 'guilty beyond reasonable doubt' verdicts; is that in the case of a death penalty the verdict should be 'guilty beyond ANY doubt'.

If there is any doubt, a prison sentence should be the penalty.

Even with high quality legal systems, such as the UK, there are errors and innocent people have been put to death.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#20 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 am

He was taken out by the forces of law.

Anyone who has seen and understood the misery and death that these drug dealers cause, whether it be in Bradford, the Cape Flats, Detroit, or Auckland, will probably support the contention that taking these people out is a good solution.

Whether or not subcontracting it out to the public, as Duterte is doing, is perhaps is a step too far, is arguable, but as far as what West Yorkshire police did, I can only applaud and say 'let's see more, please'.