A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Just another school shooting, yawn.

#81 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri May 27, 2022 8:49 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm
If the gun becomes the arbiter in every civic dispute, and minor criminal event, then murder, mayhem and injustice will preside...

Even the criminals in this case realised that.... they could have shot this brave South African woman but, they didn't....

What I mean in this case, is if she had pulled a gun, they would have shot them both!

She should have let them out of their car and see if they could outrun her vehicle. It is amusing but unfair that perpetrators/ thieves etc decide to break the law and then complain when people react in a not very friendly way - while they were hoping to get a hit with a wet loaf.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:49 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
If the gun becomes the arbiter in every civic dispute, and minor criminal event, then murder, mayhem and injustice will preside...

Even the criminals in this case realised that.... they could have shot this brave South African woman but, they didn't....

What I mean in this case, is if she had pulled a gun, they would have shot them both!

She should have let them of the car and see if they could outrun her vehicle. It is amusing but unfair that perpetrators/ thieves etc decide to break the law and then complain when people react in a not very friendly way - while they were hoping to get a hit with a wet loaf.

RiS you are right, the criminals are in the wrong, and the worst of them deserve the ultimate justice, i.e. a bullet between the eyes (or being squashed by an SUV) but in a civilised world we have to have checks and balances.

TGG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri May 27, 2022 9:06 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 pm
Rwy in Sight wrote:
TheGreenGoblin wrote:

She should have let them of the car and see if they could outrun her vehicle. It is amusing but unfair that perpetrators/ thieves etc decide to break the law and then complain when people react in a not very friendly way - while they were hoping to get a hit with a wet loaf.

RiS you are right, the criminals are in the wrong, and the worst of them deserve the ultimate justice, i.e. a bullet between the eyes, but in a civilised world we have to have checks and balances.

TGG
TGG if people knew there will be a severe punishment for the crime committed and police reacted swiftly they wouldn't have bother to take justice in their own hands. Every couple of years or so people of a city not far from where I live suffer from thefts from Roma/traveller/gypsies. Police have order not to touch that special group at all costs so every now and then a homeowner forgets about checks and balances and make sure their house becomes off limits by the use of a very persuasive mean.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 27, 2022 9:17 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:06 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:52 pm
Rwy in Sight wrote:

RiS you are right, the criminals are in the wrong, and the worst of them deserve the ultimate justice, i.e. a bullet between the eyes, but in a civilised world we have to have checks and balances.

TGG
TGG if people knew there will be a severe punishment for the crime committed and police reacted swiftly they wouldn't have bother to take justice in their own hands. Every couple of years or so people of a city not far from where I live suffer from thefts from Roma/traveller/gypsies. Police have order not to touch that special group at all costs so every now and then a homeowner forgets about checks and balances and make sure their house becomes off limits by the use of a very persuasive mean.
RiS I am sorry to hear you suffer in this way, and I sympathise, and I can't speak for the Greek situation, but I know from my South African experience over the years that whatever the possible likely outcome, the desperate and the desperadoes and the just, frankly, innocent desperate, or the simply evil, will go for it whatever the likely penalty! It is not a gun question, it is a societal one.

PS - In a life where I have known much gun violence, my first lost friend was a Greek, George Fitou, who was gunned down in his father's cafe in Cape Town. Funnily enough the very last one was also Greek, a gangster, Stelios, shot by one of the morons under his command in Johannesburg. Complete coincidence, and, as you know, you Greeks gave us democracy and, thus, basically, civilisation.

Mike (aka TGG)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#85 Post by Dushan » Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm

with a clue in the name that it's an assault rifle,
It’s not an assault rifle as it does not have select fire option (auto/semi-auto). It is a “scary” looking rifle because it is black and has a bunch of plastic parts that exaggerate its size. “Assault rifle” is a name that MSM and the anti gun-grabbers are giving a rifle that is no different than a Ruger mini 14 in its function.

Like this one

https://images.app.goo.gl/RTZpfGoszoKDViJw8
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#86 Post by Dushan » Fri May 27, 2022 11:26 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:49 pm
How many ordinary members of the public (and how many women) possess the acumen to efficiently handle a weapon and efficiently take out the potential assassin?
Exactly! What needs to be done is to teach firearms handling and target practice as part of regular high school curriculum.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#87 Post by Dushan » Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 pm
Not quite the same but a totally different outcome.

Phoenix father, son accused of killing man trying to steal catalytic converter

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/man-k ... police-say#

PHOENIX - A father and son are now facing murder charges after allegedly shooting and killing a man who tried to steal a catalytic converter from their car, according to Phoenix Police.

Officers responded to the area of 20th Street and Palm Lane during the early morning hours of May 24 and found a Jeep that had been involved in a crash and a man inside who had been shot, said Sgt. Andy Williams.

"Phoenix Fire responded and pronounced the victim, later identified as Patrick Pierson, deceased on scene. Two adult male suspects remained on scene and were detained by officers," Williams said.

Investigators believe the two men found Pierson near their car when they confronted him. That's when it's believed Pierson got into his own car to leave, but the suspects shot and killed him, causing his car to crash.

Williams says the suspects, Agustin Chairez Romero, 22, and his father Agustin Chairez Duarte, 47, are being booked into jail on suspicion of second-degree murder.

Court documents say the two confronted Pierson in their driveway because he was stealing the catalytic converter from their Prius. The 27-year-old man was reportedly shot in the head and upper torso.

The documents also reveal the father and son said they fired at the tires of the Jeep as he drove away.

The father and son are being held on a $250,000 bond and are due back in court in June.

PP
Sad that AZ doesn’t allow for deadly force while protecting property. In TX or FL they would have gotten a medal.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#88 Post by Dushan » Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
No it wouldn’t. An armed society is a polite society.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 27, 2022 11:32 pm

Dushan wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Join me in a drive through Khyalitsha and see if you still believe that crap! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#90 Post by Dushan » Fri May 27, 2022 11:37 pm

We are not talking about Khyalitsha. We are talking US. States, as Fox stated, that have least restrictive gun laws have the least amount of gun violence because EVERYONE is POTENTIALLY carrying and you don’t want to piss them off.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

boing

#91 Post by boing » Fri May 27, 2022 11:44 pm

Here I am standing by my milling machine making useful items but unfortunately there is a computer close by so I feel the urge to check the latest on ON. This leads me to the idea that many people do not understand the terminology of the firearms arguments so here is a boring lecture that may straighten out some of the imprecise terminology used.

Merriam Webster dictionary says it all.
Definition of assault rifle

: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire.

also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Note this.
"Intermediate-range cartridge.
that can be set for automatic or semi-automatic fire."

That is the classic military definition, but someone with an ulterior motive extended this to.
" a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire"

Let me give you an example of what is considered an assault rifle by various States. We are looking at the upper item.
ON_web.jpg
Looks evil doesn't it. However it fires a low power cartridge, the 9mm Luger, so it is not truly an assault rifle by the military definition. It also does not fire fully automatic. However, it is counted as an assault rifle in some States because it "resembles" a military rifle.
Now let's look at the lower rifle, this is a Marlin Ranch Rifle from around 1995. It uses exactly the same ammunition as the upper rifle, it is also only semi-automatic, it has exactly the same ballistic performance as the upper carbine but is not considered as an assault rifle, it even has one cartridge greater magazine capacity than the upper carbine in standard form. Very strange.

The plain truth is that to some people it is only the look of the gun that is important not its performance. When you hear emotional speeches about assault rifles see if the facts are correct.

There are several other examples od this imprecise naming.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 pm

Not at all evil, but you should admit a commercial interest in the gun trade surely! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 pm
Not at all evil, but you should admit a commercial interest in the gun trade surely! :)
Don't bother admitting that to me, but look at yourself.

On that note, I am going going to quit this place before I am banned.

Try harder say I.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 27, 2022 11:55 pm

What needs to be done is to teach firearms handling and target practice as part of regular high school curriculum.
Some of us did!
School CCF rifle instructor.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by boing » Fri May 27, 2022 11:57 pm

We do not buy or sell guns, that's somebody else's problem that we don't need. We do need a dealer's license because that is the way the Feds. keep track of individual firearms. For example, if someone drops by with a gun and asks to leave it in our safe for the night we have to sign that gun in when we receive it and out again when the owner picks it up. We do not make any income from this. This is actually a darned nuisance but I did have to learn a lot of procedures to stay legal hence my spouting which may be of use to some in understanding the US's problems.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by boing » Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am

GG
On that note, I am going going to quit this place before I am banned.
That would be a shame since you provide useful insights from another point of view.

What I am trying to do , as someone who accidentally has inside information, is provide verifiable facts to you and others so that you can dodge the emotional responses and have a logical reaction to our problems. I would be the first to admit we have those problems.

It seems to me that the first thing the US must do is to isolate the facts before a reasoned solution can be reached. A great contribution to this is to receive opinions from outside the US "bubble".

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by llondel » Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 am

Dushan wrote:
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Not until you've gotten rid of all the nutjobs, racists and extremists and managed to train everyone else to be able to pull the trigger if they need to. Too many people would not want to carry a weapon, and ideally none of us would need one because we'd be a polite society without the need for implied violence. It's a bit like religious people who think that belief in a vengeful deity is required to make everyone else behave in a compassionate and moral manner, even while failing to demonstrate that it's worked on them.

I do wonder what would happen if every black person in Texas went and bought themselves a gun. Either the police would suddenly get even more trigger-happy than they are now, there would be a rethink of the relaxed gun laws, or there would be an arms race where those who see every black person as a threat feel the need to go get something even more powerful.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by boing » Sat May 28, 2022 1:22 am

Nutjobs :-bd
Real racists :-bd Racists as defined by the woke mob [-X
Real extremists :-bd Extremists as defined by the woke mob [-X

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#99 Post by Dushan » Sat May 28, 2022 2:06 am

llondel wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:51 am
Dushan wrote:
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Not until you've gotten rid of all the nutjobs, racists and extremists and managed to train everyone else to be able to pull the trigger if they need to. Too many people would not want to carry a weapon, and ideally none of us would need one because we'd be a polite society without the need for implied violence. It's a bit like religious people who think that belief in a vengeful deity is required to make everyone else behave in a compassionate and moral manner, even while failing to demonstrate that it's worked on them.

I do wonder what would happen if every black person in Texas went and bought themselves a gun. Either the police would suddenly get even more trigger-happy than they are now, there would be a rethink of the relaxed gun laws, or there would be an arms race where those who see every black person as a threat feel the need to go get something even more powerful.
You will never get rid of nut jobs, racists, and extremists, nor will you train and educated everyone. That’s not what I am talking about. You don’t have to arm everyone in order to be safe. All you have to do is make it easy and “normal” to carry. Most people won’t but the bad guys would not know who does and who doesn’t, but since I it is easy and normal they will assume that everyone does.

That is the reason why states and cities with non-restrictive gun laws have very low crime rate and the ones with very restrictive gun laws (Chicago, DC, anyone?) don’t.

There is a reason why these idiots attack schools, churches, and movie theaters. They all have “no guns allowed” signs on them so the perps feel safe. You don’t see them going to a firing range on a Saturday afternoon to commit mayhem.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by llondel » Sat May 28, 2022 3:00 am

Dushan wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 2:06 am
There is a reason why these idiots attack schools, churches, and movie theaters. They all have “no guns allowed” signs on them so the perps feel safe. You don’t see them going to a firing range on a Saturday afternoon to commit mayhem.
There was one a few years ago where someone walked past a police car and into a gun shop where the police officer happened to. He then proceeded to try an armed robbery and the shopkeeper and two others in the shop reacted faster and filled him full of the proverbial holes. The cop was way too slow.

It's worth noting that the NRA convention in Houston this weekend prohibits attendees from carrying guns on the premises, "for safety". That strikes me as a bit hypocritical.