Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#1381 Post by FD2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:38 am

Then I read accounts like this and others and I think to hell with them. Will they ever learn to behave with some sense of morality?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60929530

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1382 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:09 am

Animals - though that is unfair to most animals that have compassion.

See videos of big animals treating tiny creatures with respect.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1383 Post by FD2 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:46 pm

As there seems to be clear evidence now of war crimes, like murdering civilians and dumping them in mass graves, what are the chances of the ICC in The Hague starting proceedings against the criminal Putin and his henchmen? After all, the troops who invaded Ukraine are under his control, as was clear at the start of his 'special operation'.

I am beginning to think I agree with a certain other dictator's opinion (whose name we shouldn't mention) of the state of the Russian people - unfair perhaps - but whatever, it seems to be there are more than a few 'bad apples' amongst the invaders. :ymsick:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60970818

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1384 Post by tango15 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:29 am

I was having a keyboard chat with one of my contacts in Kyiv last night. The amount of looting which has taken place, not just where the media has seen and reported it, but all over the country, is horrendous apparently. They were breaking into flats and houses and stealing everything they could find. Washing machines were particularly popular, and the security services have intercepted calls from Russian soldiers asking people back home what they wanted.

What people don't realise is how primitive life is outside the main cities. Most villages have no running water. There are a couple of communal standpipes. Electricity is available, but often it is turned off at 10pm and not switched on again until 0600. When I was working in Moscow post glasnost, the agent would lend me one of their cars and at the weekend I would go off for a drive maybe 30 or 40 miles from Moscow. The car was a Saab 95 and almost every time I would be stopped and asked for my papers. Then they would ask why I was there, and they just couldn't grasp the concept that I was out for a Sunday drive and of course were convinced that I was some sort of 'Spion'. I was usually fined the equivalent of a fiver for some indeterminate infringement or other, but no further action was taken. I mentioned it to the agent, who said they would know it was a Moscow number plate, and they would see it as the possibility to earn enough to pay for their lunch!

Seenenough

#1385 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:06 pm

Horrid images today of Ukrainian people with hands bound behind their backs executed and left in the streets.

Nothing other than Genocide.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Law of Unintended Consequences

#1386 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm

Russia has wisely, for over a decade now, been de-dollarising their central bank's reserves. Equally wisely, they've been hoarding gold reserves in vast quantities.

With the The Empire weaponising the Dollar to crush Russia economically in the War, it was perhaps inevitable that something slightly unexpected might happen. It has.

Russia's central bank has placed a golden floor under the value of the Rouble of RUB5,000 per gramme of gold with effect from this week. That's not the same thing as putting the Rouble on the Gold Standard, but it does establish a valuable linkage which is extremely rare in fiat currencies ever since the world's 'reserve' currency came off the Gold Standard (at $35 per Troy Ounce) in 1971.

Furthermore a declaration of intent has been made that payments for gas, and later oil, will have to made by the hostile states in Roubles.

That makes a triangular linkage between oil and gold and between gold and the Rouble. So, oil will be almost as good as gold, as will the Rouble. Nobody will be expected to pay in gold of course, but with the Rouble almost as good as gold, the oil business will be somewhat discombobulated.

That will hole the petrodollar below the waterline. Already Saudi is beginning to very discreetly accept payment for crude cargoes in Yen, Yuan and Rupees. Less discreetly, Iran is doing the same.

The billionaire and State controlled meeja in non-free countries in the West are keeping pretty schtum about that fact for understandable reasons. Don't frighten the horses.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan ... m-q-and-a/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Law of Unintended Consequences

#1387 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 pm
Russia has wisely, for over a decade now, been de-dollarising their central bank's reserves. Equally wisely, they've been hoarding gold reserves in vast quantities.

With the The Empire weaponising the Dollar to crush Russia economically in the War, it was perhaps inevitable that something slightly unexpected might happen. It has.

Russia's central bank has placed a golden floor under the value of the Rouble of RUB5,000 per gramme of gold with effect from this week. That's not the same thing as putting the Rouble on the Gold Standard, but it does establish a valuable linkage which is extremely rare in fiat currencies ever since the world's 'reserve' currency came off the Gold Standard (at $35 per Troy Ounce) in 1971.

Furthermore a declaration of intent has been made that payments for gas, and later oil, will have to made by the hostile states in Roubles.

That makes a triangular linkage between oil and gold and between gold and the Rouble. So, oil will be almost as good as gold, as will the Rouble. Nobody will be expected to pay in gold of course, but with the Rouble almost as good as gold, the oil business will be somewhat discombobulated.

That will hole the petrodollar below the waterline. Already Saudi is beginning to very discreetly accept payment for crude cargoes in Yen, Yuan and Rupees. Less discreetly, Iran is doing the same.

The billionaire and State controlled meeja in non-free countries in the West are keeping pretty schtum about that fact for understandable reasons. Don't frighten the horses.

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/ronan ... m-q-and-a/
Discussing this very thing with cab driver this morning as we drove up behind a petrol tanker. He remarked on the oil gold linkage, at least. As for the Rouble, we will see...there are other ways to beggar your enemy, and I wish nothing but harm to the Russian economy...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1388 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:43 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:35 pm
I wish nothing but harm to the Russian economy...
Problem is: the splashback.

In an attempt to wreck that part of the world's integrated economy, we will destroy ourselves too.

It's no good hoping that we can sink their end of the boat that we're in without getting wet and cold ourselves.

In the matter of Sound Money, they are in a position to impose it. We are not. Neither is The Empire and, weakest of all, the Eurozone is a dead duck that won't float. Even formerly prosperous Japan is dead in the water and has been for nigh on three 'lost' decades.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1389 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:46 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:43 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Problem is: the splashback.

In an attempt to wreck that part of the world's integrated economy, we will destroy ourselves too.
True, but until the Russians understand the concept of MAD (in all senses) again, we are on a hiding to nothing anyway.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#1390 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:53 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:43 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:

It's no good hoping that we can sink their end of the boat that we're in without getting wet and cold ourselves.

Depends who who you include in the description of "we"

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1391 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:57 pm

We the warmongering countries who are at war with Russia and the Russian people. That's who!

Seenenough

#1392 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Biden has already hit the Drill,BabyDrill and open the spigots buttons much to the disgust of the left.

The US can deal with its own oil and food needs but I don't think the same can be said of the EU and the UK.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1393 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:04 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm
Biden has already hit the Drill,BabyDrill button much to the disgust of the left.

The US can deal with its own oil and food needs but I don't think the same can be said of the EU and the UK.

You may be surprised...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#1394 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:04 pm
Seenenough wrote:
Biden has already hit the Drill,BabyDrill button much to the disgust of the left.

You may be surprised...
If oil is gold, per Plum's post, the US is pretty well reserved.

Time will of course tell if the EU will sacrifice their high living standards in to provide the EU's needs in future.

How the UK manages going forward is anyone's guess.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1395 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:18 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:04 pm
Seenenough wrote:

You may be surprised...
If oil is gold, per Plum's post, the US is pretty well reserved.

Time will of course tell if the EU will sacrifice their high living standards in to provide the EU's needs in future.

How the UK manages going forward is anyone's guess.
I agree that the highlighted point is one that makes me scratch my head too! No doubt others here would totally disagree with my concerns.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#1396 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:32 pm

A wealthy country is a country that can perpetually produce its own food needs.

A country that cannot supply it population food is forever subservient to another country from which it can buy food.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1397 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:38 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:32 pm
A wealthy country is a country that can perpetually produce its own food needs.

A country that cannot supply it population food is forever subservient to another country from which it can buy food.
Time was that this country was pretty much self sufficient... no longer though...

https://www.countryfile.com/news/can-th ... er-brexit/

No iron, no food, no energy... Can we improve, yes!

https://www.countryfile.com/news/can-th ... er-brexit/

The loss of Ukrainian wheat will hit the poorest countries the most... vide Africa...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#1398 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 pm

The loss of Ukrainian wheat will hit the poorest countries the most... vide Africa...

...and as always the UN will demand that the USA gives more money to compensate.

You will recall Gob that SA and Zim were both able to export food in the 80's but both lost the ability to do so and have since become basket cases from once have been the bread baskets of Africa.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1399 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:01 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 pm

...and as always the UN will demand that the USA gives more money to compensate.

You will recall Gob that SA and Zim were both able to export food in the 80's but both lost the ability to do so and have since become basket cases from once have been the bread baskets of Africa.
The latter 2 points absolutely true. The first true too, but in my world is it not fair that those who have the most should be able to give more (and the US mostly does to be fair)? Once again I think in the UK, this sense of fairness has been lost. Selfishness, and the cult of the glory of the individual has washed away the most important of the Paulian triplet, namely charity, even at home!

That said there are still some wonderful people here in the UK, as I have learned over the last couple of weeks, not least the folks who run the hospice that was the centre of my local focus recently. I am moved to ensure that I give them as much as I can in thanks...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Seenenough

#1400 Post by Seenenough » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:03 pm

A little off subject but I have sat in Hospice with my Father,my Brother and my Mother and here in the US my Uncle who was my Mother's Brother.

The world would be less of a place without the blessing of the ability of Hospice to hasten the end of the suffering.