'Border Control' post Schengen

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: 'Border Control' post Schengen

#21 Post by BenThere » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:25 pm

I've been convinced since shortly after the establishment of TSA, Department of Homeland Security, ICE, et al., that somehow, the combination of authorities, under the Obama administration and its bureaucratic control minions, was more committed to advancing its politically correct dogma by harassing the kind of legitimate and harmless travelers and tourists we should welcome, while ignoring and even encouraging costly and dangerous travelers and invaders.

Thankfully, with the Trump administration, I see some big and positive changes on this front.

I found myself on the TSA no-fly list, even though I was a USAF reserve pilot with more than 25 years of military service, and a current captain with a major carrier. Due to that no-fly designation, if I was traveling, even in uniform on a company ticket, I was subjected to the 'four S' security screening which required me to be frisked and all my bags searched by hand in front of the passengers waiting at the gate to board. Utterly non-sensical. It took me 2-3 years of appeals to get off that list, even though I'd never been arrested for anything, or my loyalty and patriotism questioned in any regard. There was no due process whatsoever for me to contest my status. Apparently, my common name matched a bad guy's somewhere.

Meanwhile, it seems, it was a no-no to apply any scrutiny at all to passengers who any casual and objective observer, or anyone with common sense, would want to be scrutinized. One of the most ironic photographs I ever saw was taken at Detroit's Metro Airport several years ago and published in the newspapers. It was of a TSA female screener, in hijab dress, frisking an octogenarian nun.

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by Dirk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:13 pm

More Aviation wrote:What next Dirk, border posts on the Severn bridges? ;)

MA

Absolutely, we've tried charging those Southern English oiks to get in but they just pay up or go the long way round, stronger measures are required :D

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Dirk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:15 pm

ian16th wrote:
More Aviation wrote:What next Dirk, border posts on the Severn bridges? ;)

MA

Why?
Both ends are in England!

Harold Wilson saying Monmouth is Welsh, doesn't count in our house.

Ello Boyo :-h

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 pm

Just travelled back to Spain from Paris. Other than five soldiers patrolling the Gare de Lyon, no armed forces / soldiers / police / border staff in view anywhere. And of course the border crossing itself ? Deserted.

Capetonian

#25 Post by Capetonian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 pm

Mais oui!
What do you expect?
France is in a state of emergency. The armed forces/soldiers etc are all hiding somewhere safe, perhaps in bars in case someone tries to smoke in a non-smoking area, for example.