IRAN AIR order

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
IRAN AIR order

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 pm

There is a fairly big order coming but there are rumors the airline wanting to acquire some A340. What would it make the aircraft so unique when models with similar range are also available ?

Capetonian

Re: IRAN AIR order

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:49 pm

I would guess the A340 is pretty cheap to buy or lease, as it's not a very desirable aircraft compared to more modern twin engined jobs, mainly due to its thirst for fuel, but then with oil at current low prices, plus Iran presumably having its own plentiful and cheap oil, they may not care.

I think Iran is going to blossom. A wonderful country and superb people. The airline may do very well once they can shake off the negative image, and that was largely a result of sanctions imposed on them.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Interesting times ahead methinks. Perhaps with Tehran planning on taking on Dubai for the top hub/spot in the region.

Airbus signs $25bn deal to sell 118 planes to Iran

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35434483

Iran has signed a deal to buy 118 Airbus planes worth $25bn (€22bn; £17.4bn) at list prices in one of the biggest deals signed since Western sanctions against Tehran were lifted.
The agreement was signed during a visit by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to France.
The order included 73 wide body and 45 narrow body jets, including 12 A380 superjumbos.
Iran's decision to buy the A380 is a significant boost for Airbus.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 am

Alisoncc wrote:Interesting times ahead methinks. Perhaps with Tehran planning on taking on Dubai for the top hub/spot in the region.

Airbus signs $25bn deal to sell 118 planes to Iran

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35434483

Iran has signed a deal to buy 118 Airbus planes worth $25bn (€22bn; £17.4bn) at list prices in one of the biggest deals signed since Western sanctions against Tehran were lifted.
The agreement was signed during a visit by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to France.
The order included 73 wide body and 45 narrow body jets, including 12 A380 superjumbos.
Iran's decision to buy the A380 is a significant boost for Airbus.

Alison

Obviously the big question is what price were A380 sold for

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:10 pm

BA are restarting their Tehran route in the summer with 4 class B777.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#6 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:11 pm

I imagine it will do well, despite the shoddy way BA treat its customers.

I'd rather fly on IranAir.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Capetonian wrote:I imagine it will do well, despite the shoddy way BA treat its customers.

I'd rather fly on IranAir.

According to TOP it would be dry while BA will have a full bar.

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 pm

I may be in a minority but I fail to understand why whether an airline serves alcohol or not would be a criterion for selection.
Let me be fair. Maybe it would be about 29th out of 30 for me.
In fact when I think of some of the foul behaviour I've seen when travelling I might have a preference for airlines that don't serve alcohol.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Cape

Agree. A lot more people don't drink on aircraft now.

It's a far cry from the 70's and 80's where we had parties down the back of 747's and
virtually had one stewardess continually bringing us drinks.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Capetonian wrote:I may be in a minority but I fail to understand why whether an airline serves alcohol or not would be a criterion for selection.
Let me be fair. Maybe it would be about 29th out of 30 for me.
In fact when I think of some of the foul behaviour I've seen when travelling I might have a preference for airlines that don't serve alcohol.

Now you mentioned it I realized I have cut down seriously on alcohol drinks while traveling maybe because I spent some time on the lounge and the airline I travel with offers an excellent tomato juice.

I am afraid I would be like a very rich guy I read about who said he hated salmon but if the flight was out of it, he would really love to have some. Alcohol fairly low on my list but if it was not available at all I would love to have a glass of red wine. :-?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ian16th » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:40 am

I staged through Tehran twice, night stopped once.

The airline was RAF Transport Command, the a/c a Whimpering Giant.

The boss was still the Shah, things might have changed since then [-X
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 am

............. a guy ........ who said he hated salmon but if the flight was out of it, he would really love to have some. Alcohol fairly low on my list but if it was not available at all I would love to have a glass of red wine.

Very true. Some years ago I boarded a Royal Brunei flight after 3 weeks in Saudi without a beer and was gasping for one. To my huge disappointment I discovered that it was a 'dry' airline, and although I normally don't drink alcohol when flying, it was really a hard blow, talking of which that too was probably out of the question, although the very attractive stewardess was very friendly.

I spent 3 weeks in Iran about 5 years ago and it was a wonderful experience. A country with a lot to offer.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by 500N » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:50 am

My father was working on the building of a factory at Isfahan during the 70's for IMI, flew back and forth quite a lot.
All was going well until you can guess and that was that. We had been told we may go and live in Iran !
Anyway, after that debacle they went him to Australia and the rest is history.

He used to bring back Dates and Pistachio nuts in tins, hardly heard of in the UK in the 70's
but that was a non stop love affair with them since.