Passengers Behaving Badly

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Passengers Behaving Badly

#101 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 24, 2024 12:53 am

I noticed over the years that there was much more use of wheelchairs for boarding than deplaning.
The main reason that wheelchair users are preboarded and can get prime bin space ahead of everyone else.
While I don't have as much experience with LCCs such as Frontier, Spirit, and Southwest, I imagine the wheelchair usage for boarding might be even greater as not only boarding first but more importantly having the opportunity to snag prime seats at the front of the plane to make good an early exit.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#102 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri May 24, 2024 1:18 am

They normally make the wheelchair people deplane last, for perfectly sensible reasons.
This could be people exploiting the system, but as I said; if the onward connection is tight, and a short distance, then even genuine mobility-problem people may be OK without the wheelchair when deplaning.
The airlines system is a black/white thing and inflexible. So, as I say, I suspect it's mostly their own system that's to blame.
I know my own mum has tried to tell them which airports she needs assistance at, and sometimes they've even tried to pass this on, but in practice the people at the other end never get the message.
Then, of course, there are many people who have good days and bad days with their medical problems, but the service has to be pre-booked.
I've seen gate staff insisting on people waiting for assistance even when the connection is only a couple of gates away, and less distance than the ramp they may have just walked up - nonsense.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 24, 2024 2:18 am

It doesn't help any that wheelchair attendants are almost always sub-contractors and not direct employees of the airline.
Same with fuelers, rampers, and even gate agents, especially at out stations.
The fact that the airline doesn't have direct control over those workers can be a major issue.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Naked on a plane: Man arrested after alleged nude aisle run forced plane to turn back
The Virgin Australia flight from Perth to Melbourne turned back around an hour-and-a-half after take off, according to flight tracking website FlightAware.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/nake ... rcna154237

It’s safe to say it wasn’t the mid-flight entertainment they were expecting.

Instead passengers aboard a Virgin Australia flight from Perth to Melbourne were forced to watch a naked man running through the aisle and knocking a crew member to the floor.

Flight VA696 then turned back to Perth due to a “disruptive passenger on board,” a Virgin Australia spokesperson said in a statement after the incident on Monday. They added that the man was then handed over to Australian Federal Police.

The plane turned back around an hour-and-a-half into it's three-and-a-half hour journey, according to flight-tracking site, FlightAware.

Australian Federal Police said in a statement that “officers arrested a man after he allegedly ran naked through the aircraft mid-flight and knocked a crew member to the floor.”

They added that he “was arrested and taken to hospital for assessments.”

The charges the man will face are yet to be finalized, police said, adding that he will likely appear in court next month.

"We sincerely apologize to guests impacted," the Virgin Australia spokesperson said.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue May 28, 2024 2:53 pm

It was the crew member who was "impacted".
The guests were affected.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by G-CPTN » Wed May 29, 2024 3:51 am

As they had 'restrained' the streaker, why did they return to departure airport?

Does Australia only have 'facilities' at certain bases and not at 'outposts'?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#107 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 29, 2024 5:52 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 3:51 am
As they had 'restrained' the streaker, why did they return to departure airport?

Does Australia only have 'facilities' at certain bases and not at 'outposts'?
They were almost half way there. There must be police at destination.

Why 'guests' not passengers. Were they not paying?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed May 29, 2024 10:00 pm

NFL kicker Brandon McManus accused of sexually assaulting 2 flight attendants during team charter
The women filed a suit that alleges the incidents happened on a flight to London.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nf ... rcna154535

Two women have filed a lawsuit against NFL kicker Brandon McManus and the Jacksonville Jaguars that accuses the athlete of sexually assaulting them during a team flight to London last year.

The women, who worked as flight attendants for Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, allege that McManus rubbed himself on them and attempted to kiss one of them while they worked a team-chartered flight out of Florida to England on Sept. 28.

McManus was a kicker for the Jaguars at the time, though he is now with the Washington Commanders.

The civil suit filed in Duval County, Florida, seeks more than $1 million in damages. An attorney for McManus called the allegations “demonstrably false” and said the athlete would fight to clear his name “by showing what these claims truly are — an extortion attempt.”

The Jacksonville Jaguars have said they are aware of the claims and are investigating. “It bears emphasizing that we insist on an organization built by people who represent our community and game with the highest character and class,” the team said in a statement to NBC News affiliate WTLV of Jacksonville.

Party on a flight, unwanted grabbing
The flight to London turned into a party for McManus and a number of his teammates, according to the complaint. The athlete recruited three flight attendants (who are no longer employed by Atlas Air) to join the party, “passing out $100 bills to encourage them to drink and dance inappropriately for him,” the suit states.

The plaintiffs — identified solely as Jane Doe I and Jane Doe II — said they did not engage in the party.

McManus allegedly “repeatedly targeted Jane Doe I,” seemingly because she did not want to partake, the filing said.

He targeted her when she was belted in her jump seat after the pilot indicated that turbulence required seatbelts for all on board, according to the suit. She felt “uncomfortable” with McManus’ presence, and he “leaned in to kiss Jane Doe I,” the complaint said.

She put her hand up and told him to go away, and he conceded, the complaint said. He allegedly continued to seek her out and on two occasions, grabbed her and rubbed against her so that she could feel his erection, according to the suit.

She said in the suit that the alleged incident happened while she was serving the flight’s meal to other passengers.

She froze and made eye contact with “another Jaguars player, who looked ashamed of his teammate’s behavior,” the complaint said.

The second alleged incident happened later when he came up behind her, grabbed her “tightly by the waist and rubbed his clothed but erected penis on her multiple times,” the suit states.

“Both incidents were unprovoked, unwanted and reprehensible,” the filing said.

The suit accuses McManus of behaving the same way with a second woman as she served the flight’s second meal.

The woman could not move away because she was in the galley aisle and carrying a full service tray, the suit stated.

The woman turned around and confronted McManus but “he simply smirked and walked away,” the complaint said, leaving her “humiliated and embarrassed.”

“The sexual misconduct occurred in front of Plaintiffs’ professional peers and in front of high-profile clients. Plaintiffs felt severely anxious, ashamed, and terrified that their careers were at risk,” the complaint said.

McManus’ alleged behavior has left the women with “severe mental anguish and career disruption,” including anxiety and suspicion when engaging with male clients during work, the filing said. Both women were removed from the “core crew” that staffs Jaguars flights — “something both Plaintiffs worked hard to achieve,” according to the suit.

It was their first and last flight with the Jacksonville Jaguars, the filing said.

The suit alleges assault and sexual assault by McManus, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence and gross negligence by the Jaguars in failing to “enforce a zero-tolerance policy related to inappropriate behavior” and failing to create a safe environment for staff serving them.

The women seek a jury trial.

Attorney calls allegations 'a campaign to defame'
An attorney for McManus, Brett R. Gallaway, denied the women’s claims.

“To be clear, these are absolutely fictitious and demonstrably false allegations made as part of a campaign to defame and disparage a talented and well-respected NFL player,” he said in a statement. “We intend to aggressively defend Brandon’s rights and integrity and clear his name.”

The Washington Commanders said in a statement Monday it was made aware of the suit filed May 24.

“We take allegations of this nature very seriously and are looking into the matter. We have been in communication with the League Office and Brandon’s representation, and will reserve further comment at this time,” the team said.

Tony Buzbee, an attorney representing the two women, said on Instagram that prior to filing the suit the women and their lawyers tried to resolve the case “without the need for litigation” but, “our efforts at resolution were met with arrogance, ignorance and stupidity.”

“The allegations made in this lawsuit are very serious. We made sure to fully vet them and speak to witnesses before even taking the cases,” he said. “We will pursue this case with the same tenacity we are known for ... These women were simply trying to do their jobs!”

PP