Payment for seats and baggage

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Payment for seats and baggage

#1 Post by OFSO » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:43 am

The Spanish government has ruled illegal the charging of extra payments for cabin baggage and selected seats by low cost airlines such as Easyjet and FR, and announced a draconian list of fines for airlines indulging in the practice. Interestingly BA also charges for seat selection prior to registering on line boarding. So....

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Payment for seats and baggage

#2 Post by barkingmad » Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:18 am

Thanks for that headsup OFSO.

Within the next few weeks I will be sampling the Toxic Cabin Air and Vak Scene damaged pilots of Aer Fungus and Tryingair to/from the Emerald Isle.

Should I survive I will report back on the seat auction and cabin baggage scams, meantime please pray for me? :-o

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:26 pm

:-? Does this new law apply to all flights going to/from/over/around/over/under Spain? 8-}
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 pm

The net effect of that will be to raise prices for everyone. Seat selection should be free, because that does not, in theory, affect aircraft operating costs, but I can see that charging for baggage is an incentive not to take any, and the weight of baggage increases the fuel cost.

Does this mean they can't charge more for exit row seats?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 pm

Only I fear for flights originating from Spain or when Spain was the country of purchase.
BA are very tolerant of "hand baggage only" passengers turning up to board with cases. Put in the hold at no charge. I will not pay for special seat locations. So far we've always had row 20 or 22, which does mean we have to wait for the many dozy gits in front of us to realise we've landed and the door is open.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:43 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:18 pm
Only I fear for flights originating from Spain or when Spain was the country of purchase.
BA are very tolerant of "hand baggage only" passengers turning up to board with cases. Put in the hold at no charge. I will not pay for special seat locations. So far we've always had row 20 or 22, which does mean we have to wait for the many dozy gits in front of us to realise we've landed and the door is open.
On one delightful flight out of Barbados we boarded front and rear. On arrival at LGW we could only exit at the front. We had boarded at the rear as had this chap two rows in front. As usual, everyone was up out of their seats, grabbing baggage, and hell bent on getting the the doors first. This chap was aiming for the rear door. I tried to tell him it was front only but there was no telling him and I was in danger of getting decked, When he got to the rear door he remonstrated with the FA for not getting the door open quickly. I wish she had obliged :)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:57 am

llondel wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:23 pm
The net effect of that will be to raise prices for everyone. Seat selection should be free, because that does not, in theory, affect aircraft operating costs, but I can see that charging for baggage is an incentive not to take any, and the weight of baggage increases the fuel cost.

Does this mean they can't charge more for exit row seats?
The seat allocation fee count as ancillary revenue so its disappearance will make tickets more expensive for anyone. The baggage issue, I am not sure about the impact on tickets. More baggage to be loaded so longer turn-around time but yet again it takes a lot of time to stow all carry on stuff on the overhead compartment and persuade people to check in their bags to help with an on time departure.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:19 am

Howzabout weighing pax & baggage at a real check-in desk and extracting extra revenue from the fat bastards?*

*Or should that be termed “above average BMI individuals”.

They were doing it on Pacific island routes so the precedent has been established, though doubtless some will claim their civil rights are being affected, or some such woke crap.

As a by-product of this protocol the species might get slimmer, healthier and therefore load the health services less so’s the next plandemic might take fewer of the population... ~X(

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 1DC » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:22 pm

When visiting our friends in Spain by the time we have added all the baggage and Seat on costs to the 'low cost' airline ticket price and then weighed up the cost and inconvenience of getting to Manchester or LeedsBradford. It is far more convenient to take a 15 minute taxi ride to Humberside our local airport and fly KLM.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by Rossian » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:00 pm

Re#9
Watch Fascinating Aida performance of "Cheap Flights". Elegant, classy and skewers the likes of Ryanair.

The Ancient Mariner

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by barkingmad » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:36 am

Not only Ryr are profiting from this scam, the others have long been introducing their own scams;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66538912

Answer ‘yes’ is correct.

But as O’Leary is alleged to have said, any publicity such as this is free and beneficial to the airline.

I find their websites are infuriatingly awkward and cumbersome to navigate, but when I end up in Hell there are a few IT geeks on whom I will be shovelling hot coals whilst tightening the rack upon which they’ve been arraigned! ~X(