The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#4801 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm

Now ensconced in our suite at The Maun Lodge. Sitting on the balcony overlooking a rather low river. The manager presented us with two rather nice desk diaries I guess for being regulars in this suite. Went for our meeting with the prosecutor who was as thick as the last time we saw him. We were not taking any ***** this time. Last time it took over an hour with all his stupid questions. This time we were out in 9 mins. We just refused to play his stupid game designed for spastics. Did however manage to talk to him about compensation for hotel rooms which we didn't need as court cases were cancelled. He said that they will talk to the court administrators tomorrow when we are there. He also said that if we had wanted accommodation we should have asked the police to book it. =))

Fish and chips for supper. :-bd
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4802 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:05 pm

Think positively.
Only need 3 more for a set. :))

PP

Seenenough

#4803 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:10 pm

Ex-A- Than is how Africa works and it takes while to get used to it.

I was flying through Tete in Mozambique some years ago and it was our International departure point back to South Africa.

When it came to clear Immigration and then Customs it went like this. There was a very disinterested individual sitting at the Immigration Counter asking us all kinds of ridiculous questions.He had lots of rank on his police uniform and one of us made the mistake of calling him Sir.Suddenly the lifeless and slouched body stiffened and sat up and told us we were to address him as Komandante.

After about 10 minutes of questioning he stamped our passports and then told us to go through to the next room which was Customs and wait for someone to go through our possessions.

There was nowhere to sit so we stood and waited in near 40C heat waiting.After about a half hour in walks the Komandante , who dealt with us in Immigration but wearing a completely different uniform that now said Customs on it.It was hard for us not to burst out laughing.

He then told us that each bag was subject to a 10 US$ inspection fee which he wanted up front .After we had handed him the money he looked us and said that he did not need to go through our bags an we could head out to board and fly home.The was no further issue and we picked up our stuff and left the customs area and departed, without a receipt for our Inspection fees of course.

Only in Africa

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4804 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm

Seenenough I have been operating aircraft through Africa since the early 80s and have lived here for 10 years. We know how to deal with them. The only problem in this case is we want these bastards who strangled me unconscious and beat up my wife very badly locked up. We have to try to play their game.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Seenenough

#4805 Post by Seenenough » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:19 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm
Seenenough I have been operating aircraft through Africa since the early 80s and have lived here for 10 years. We know how to deal with them. The only problem in this case is we want these bastards who strangled me unconscious and beat up my wife very badly locked up. We have to try to play their game.
I whilst living in South Africa was hijacked and suffered a violent home intrusion which ended up in me using my shotgun to protect us.We were lucky but I also have friends who were not so lucky one of whom was forced to suffer the horror of seeing his wife being raped repeatedly by the intruders.He was severely burned by a clothes iron and he now carries horrid scars.

When dealing with the Police in the New South Africa one comes to realize that when it comes to incidents where the previously advantaged are attacked that there is little that is ever done to bring the perpetrators to justice.

I took the decision to relocate my family to the US in order to avoid the prejudice against white people that live in Southern Africa.

My experience is that Ethnic Africans see people of European decent living and working in Africa as visitors.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4806 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:43 pm

Seenenough wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:19 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm
I whilst living in South Africa was hijacked and suffered a violent home intrusion which ended up in me using my shotgun to protect us.We were lucky but I also have friends who were not so lucky one of whom was forced to suffer the horror of seeing his wife being raped repeatedly by the intruders.He was severely burned by a clothes iron and he now carries horrid scars.

When dealing with the Police in the New South Africa one comes to realize that when it comes to incidents where the previously advantaged are attacked that there is little that is ever done to bring the perpetrators to justice.

I took the decision to relocate my family to the US in order to avoid the prejudice against white people that live in Southern Africa.

My experience is that Ethnic Africans see people of European decent living and working in Africa as visitors.
I am sorry to hear of your personal experience Seenenough and, as you say, almost everybody who has lived in SA knows somebody who has suffered violence and crime, or who have suffered the same themselves. I worked back in Constantia Cape Town on contract back in 2013 and just missed the armed group who had hit the complex I was staying in, parking my car, as they fled through the gaping whole they had cut in the electrified fence to the compound, my stop off at Dunes Bar for a glass of wine and a listen to the Friday night band just preventing me from running into them face to face.

Not so much in vino veritas as in vino salus! =))

Mind you it was ever thus, two of my school mates dying in gun related violence before they matriculated, and all that well before 1994.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4807 Post by Karearea » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:00 pm

Recycling collection today, put out the glass-bin with my modest and occasional contribution.
Why do the bin-men pause their truck outside my place to do the emptying of their sorting boxes, there's this roaring cascade of bottles for which I feel wholly responsible :YMPARTY: ^#(^

Sunny day, windows open, not enough to let in the neighbour's marauding cat which is often observed giving my windows a penetrating and thoughtful gaze.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4808 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:40 pm

Talking of cats, one of our feline guests has just sauntered in out of the rain, and deposited a big green black slug on the carpet right next to my better half, who has an abiding slug phobia. Cue a shriek and me being called into to remove the poor creature, not the cat, to the garden! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4809 Post by Boac » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 pm

the poor creature, not the cat,
Your better half, perchance? =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4810 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:31 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:29 pm
the poor creature, not the cat,
Your better half, perchance? =))

If only! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#4811 Post by jimtherev » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:19 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:45 am
Just been back to Aldi for second time in two days, to get madam a set of set squares that were not on sale yesterday.
A belated Valentine's Day present?

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#4812 Post by bob2s » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:35 am

Son and I have just spent the last couple of hours trying to make safe our work shop,reason being that overnight the river rose 4 metre.
Rainfall over the last 24h was recorded at140 mil and also the dam is spilling at the rate of more than 250 gigalitres a day.
All road access has been cut to the otherside of the Windsor bridge,only way out at this stage is a 3hour drive,89k going west then 100k or so east,so
a good reason needs to be had before venturing forth
The only saving grace is that the wind has changed and is blowing the rain further north,this may allow the river to fall and take the pressure off.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4813 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:48 am

Morning folks. Hope the weather continues to work in your favour Bob. Pleasant stay in the hotel last night. We are on the edge of town but it is very quiet here. Oh well it is off to court again. Just hope that the case goes ahead this time. Got to try to be patient with the idiots. Having a breakfast beer.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4814 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:52 am

Morning all. Got the bed linen in the machine by 06:00 hours. Clear 'n cold out. Never got the rain we were promised yesterday so drought continues.

Weekly shopping day ahead, plus queuing in the post office to send a letter.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4815 Post by Ibbie » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:02 am

Morning folks. Art for Art's Sake day again.

Another blue sky day with temperature already at 16c. A high of 21c suggested.
[A belated Valentine's Day present?/quote]

Nah Jim. That was the new sewing machine.....this is a sort of add on.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4816 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:53 am

Morning,
Pretty much the same as the West side. 80% Tormentas and windy rain for this PM.

TV is more off than on this morning.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4817 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:58 am

Lots of setsquares in our local Aldi this morning ....

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4818 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:31 am

Almost Spring like on the Humber. Well! no wind chill, 9C a hint of sun and daffodils in sight. What more can a man want.
Just been next door to check on the 93yo neighbour, bit of a panic the washing machine is bust door won't open says he. Have you checked trouble shooting says I no sent for daughter says he.
Read trouble shooting it says run rinse programme.Tell daughter to hang fire and run rinse programme.Rinse programme finishes and door opens.Tell daughter all ok.Do you think door wouldn't open because I was trying to open it when the machine was still running says he. Go and make the coffee says i.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4819 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:41 am

Inside the little door that covers the waste water filter on our ancient Miele one can find a string. Or plastic-covered wire. Or something wot one can tug. This is the manual main door release, useful when the door won't open because there's still unexpelled water in the drum, cause is always a blocked waste water filter, blocked by paper tissues left in Mme's jeans pockets.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4820 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 pm

Took me years to educate Mrs 1DC into the problems of tissues left in pockets, then elder sister got dementia and left shredded tissues everywhere. Fortunately/unfortunately elder sister has now succumbed to the disease and we are free of the dreaded tissue, for now.
Wall clock returned from service this morning, waited about 18 months to get the clock man to collect it for repair and six months to get it back.He said he has 45 clocks on his list waiting for service or repair at the moment. Nice to hear it ticking and chiming although I am £320 lighter.