The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#4741 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:54 am

Morning all. Cold and clear. Awake half the night worrying about delivery of a sculpture to our agent's office, although now in daylight it's no problem. Strange how one worries about trivia at night.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4742 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:16 am

Mme reports she was awoken by a propeller aircraft over head at 02:21 but it was not an AN-22. FR24 shows a Spanish air force Airbus freighter returning to Zaragoza from Poland.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4743 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:48 am

I hope this doesn't offend, but fear it might. Not intended, just asking for an answer. I'm moved to ask this after just watching a NZ edition of that TV quiz show, The Chase, where the contestant and the Chaser both had entirely shaven heads, and in recent months the leadership of our NZ Govt. opposition party has been handed to a similarly totally hairless male. I'm almost tempted to change my vote, I personally deplore it.

What is behind this increasing desire for some men to have totally hairless, shaven heads ? I'm sure there must be some here who do it. Why ? I recall the Shock ! Horror ! and general disapproval of Yul Brinner in the film Anna and The King of Siam, a million years ago, the first public figure to embrace this then highly unpopular fashion and for which he seems to have been the sole proponent until recent years.

Is it done for convenience, which I doubt, I even find shaving my face a daily chore that I would willingly give up, except that I also hate beards and moustaches, and I would imagine that shaving the head as often as must be necessary is a greater nuisance ? Is it done for fashion style ? In which case I find it a total failure.

What's against washing one's hair every few days, running a comb through it each morning, and occasionally getting it cut to an acceptable length ? Hair worn like Trump or Bojo causes comment but is infinitely more acceptable than the totally shaven look. Don't get it. Don't like it. Please tell.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4744 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:12 am

I like a crew cut. Not quite a Baldy Sour. Far less trouble to look good... above my ancient wrinkled face....

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4745 Post by Hydromet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:24 am

Surprisingly, the power line crew turned off the power just after they said they would, did all their work and restored power an hour or so early. Saw the bits they replaced and their replacement was well warranted. Thinking about revising my opinion of them.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4746 Post by Ibbie » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:41 am

Suffering from migraine attacks and a hurty back this morning.

Tis a miserable grey day with drizzle. Only 12c. Perfect for a public holiday.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4747 Post by Wodrick » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 am

Ibbie wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:41 am
Tis a miserable grey day with drizzle. Only 12c. Perfect for a public holiday.
Same perfect day but a tad cooler, no driz, just 10c at present. Looks like there was overnight rain.

Another day on the hotspot no internet once more.

Car full of wood to unload.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4748 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 am

Sitting in a local garage waiting for the MOT to be done on Mrs C16’s A3. Fingers and toes crossed…..
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4749 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:15 am

Morning folks. Broken Cu and warm. We are pretty sure our hippo has a mate. Just the two of them out front and behaviour suggests male and female. We may have another baby. The weather guessers have no idea. We get rain when it is supposed to be sunny and vice versa.

Edit, thunder quite close.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4750 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:44 am

Condom is needed. Mme can knit one and you can pop out, duck underneath and slide it on.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: #4743.....

#4751 Post by Rossian » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:06 pm

.....you're not being ignored Speedy. I do agree with you but from a purely aesthetic POV. Yul Brynner was an exception in that he had a very symetrical shaped head so not altogether unpleasing. The majority of human heads are not so, even my Granny said that when I was a babe in arms my head looked like "a floating mine with 5 o'clock shadow" and spent ages gently rubbing the bumps to reduce them.
When I look back at old photos of when I was on the squadron in the '70s and '80s me and my contemporaries would have incurred the wrath of the SWO at South Cerney during IOT, it was really quite long. Having seen two mates during chemotherapy and hair loss they were not pretty sights. A lovely lady neighbour during her treatment wore a red bandana pirate style. When she was recovering and her was growing back I took it off one morning and said "Jess you could charge sixpence for stroking it with the grain and a shilling against the grain" she gave me a great big smacker of a kiss and burst into tears and left it off.
Current guys in the RAF now have mostly spent time in Iraq and Afghanistan and have kept the very short styles they wore there. Not for me.

The Ancient Mariner

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4752 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:03 pm

Speedy, just standing by for a comment from Greece. :YMPARTY:
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4753 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:33 pm

I am also suffering lower back pain, but it's my own damn fault. I couldn't be bothered to set one machine up at the gym this morning but accepted the weights level the way I found it. And now my back hurts. Idiot.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4754 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:52 pm

Ex-A how did you know one was coming?

Speedy, a somewhat personal note here: a bush between ears has lost greatly in appeal in recent years. Personally I feel unless it is very carefully trimmed it does look like a clown. Over the years I have come to like my image with a goatee (I have one since 1997) and a shaved head. I am not sure it can be explained besides saying it makes me feel better. And yes I don't want to grow a full bear and nobody how much care the goatee requires.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4755 Post by k3k3 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:00 pm

Speedy, I have been told that when I was born I was a forceps delivery, my head was bruised and misshapen, so much so my father called me Monster Bonce! Things reverted to normal and by the time I was in my mid-teens I had luxurient thick wavy long hair that the girls were all jealous of, then came the RAF.

Now I have an involuntary shiny top and a three quarter white halo.

Malvernian
FO
FO

#4756 Post by Malvernian » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:41 pm

I have just been for a haircut today, always have a Number3 cut, quite short but not shaved, mainly because with the lack of hair between my ears prevents me as RiS commented...."looking like a clown". Also it stops me thinking I'm looking at my father when I look in the mirror.
My Son in Law was of the shaven head style but after being turned down for a job in digital marketing, fronting to high end clients. He let his hair grow, and applied for a further position with the same company, and was successful. He refuses to admit that being turned down for the first position was due to the shaven head.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4757 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:52 pm
Ex-A how did you know one was coming?
:YMPARTY: =))

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4758 Post by 1DC » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:23 pm

I also have a number 3 haircut and feel quite comfortable with it, mind you if I let it grow I wouldn't have much! Mrs 1DC cuts my hair and I did have a shaven head once when she forgot to put the attachment on the cutters. As she said the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is only a week so not to get upset about it! A shaven head felt ok and didn't bother me, probably because I couldn't see it. I don't particularly like the look of people who have a shaven head, I don't think it suits the male person.

Went into town to put petrol in Mrs 1DC's car, Sainsburys didn't have any diesel but would be topped up again tonight. I mistimed the journey and forgot about the school run, it made me wonder just how much money the school run is worth to the oil industry every day, must be a lot of money. Hundreds of cars around every school I passed.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4759 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:33 pm

1DC wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:23 pm
I don't think it suits the male person.
So it fits a female?

Also I liked the comment about the difference a bad and good haircut!

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4760 Post by 1DC » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:37 pm

I think the spoiler for a shaven head is the ears, in general a man has unattractive ears whilst a woman has nice elegant ears. A woman looks nice with short hair in my opinion and most would with with a shaven head but they wouldn't agree with me...