The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4521 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 pm

I guess you end up looking a bit scaly if you hang out with crocodiles.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4522 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm

You shatterer of a man's dreams ian16th! =))

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4523 Post by ian16th » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm
You shatterer of a man's dreams ian16th! =))

Caco
Not my fault!

The Oztralian life style did it.
Cynicism improves with age

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re Cruelty it is .....

#4524 Post by Rossian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm

.....these "as they were and as they are now" comparison pictures always seem to be about women (think the Christine Keeler from a long way back). How many blokes would look better over 40/45 year gaps? Not many of us I suspect. Would I get the same attention as a 77 yr old as I did when I was 35? - I can only dream.
Getting old isn't for wimps, as I found late this PM driving back from Aberdeen in a gale and lashing rain for two hours. Knackered I was.

The Ancient Mariner

fin
Capt
Capt
Re: Re Cruelty it is .....

#4525 Post by fin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Rossian wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm
.....these "as they were and as they are now" comparison pictures always seem to be about women (think the Christine Keeler from a long way back). How many blokes would look better over 40/45 year gaps? Not many of us I suspect. Would I get the same attention as a 77 yr old as I did when I was 35? - I can only dream.
Getting old isn't for wimps, as I found late this PM driving back from Aberdeen in a gale and lashing rain for two hours. Knackered I was.

The Ancient Mariner
Not all sites. I got suckered into one with over 80 targets, and over a third were men. Of course it's hard for me to judge, but my opinion was that the men often looked as good as or better than when they were younger. I think the most depressing one was the girl from Goodfellows.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4526 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 am

1DC wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm
Strange, we have had four cats in our time and none of them ever scratched anything, apart from the last one who would swipe the dog across the nose if she was in a bad mood if she was in a good mood they would sleep together on the same bean bag. The dog used to rub his back on the back of the settee, which gave mrs1DC justification to have it cleaned once a year. One of the wife's friends who lived in a condo in Toronto had a cat whose claws had been removed by a vet because she never went out, seemed a bit unfair to me but the cat seemed happy enough. She had even been trained to pee in the toilet.
Declawing a cat is cruel. It's like having your fingers chopped off at the first knuckle. The cat is likely to be in pain when it walks too.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4527 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 am

Apologies 4M 'Narrow Boat', I would still get bored in bad weather. Ian the photos of Linda not appreciated will not be able to watch the films ever again without that in mind. Wonder why she let herself go. Many actresses remain stunning until they drop dead. Caco that Green Leader clip is a classic. I think he died a few years ago.

OK so it seems that the whole world now has our exact location down to the last foot. Probably find us by air but still tricky by land. Anyway no excuse for not dropping in for a beer. My breakfast beer on table just this minute photo below. Weather as photo. Had some good rain last night.
Attachments
Breakfast Beer.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4528 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:30 am

llondel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 am
1DC wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm
Strange, we have had four cats in our time and none of them ever scratched anything, apart from the last one who would swipe the dog across the nose if she was in a bad mood if she was in a good mood they would sleep together on the same bean bag. The dog used to rub his back on the back of the settee, which gave mrs1DC justification to have it cleaned once a year. One of the wife's friends who lived in a condo in Toronto had a cat whose claws had been removed by a vet because she never went out, seemed a bit unfair to me but the cat seemed happy enough. She had even been trained to pee in the toilet.
Declawing a cat is cruel. It's like having your fingers chopped off at the first knuckle. The cat is likely to be in pain when it walks too.
+1

Slasher

#4529 Post by Slasher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:53 am

IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG (112.13 KiB) Viewed 555 times

For some strange unaccountable reason sah that pic suddenly fired up an ancient dormant neuron containing theme music I last heard maybe 55 odd years ago.

Weird. But I knew me folks liked watching it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4530 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am

An interesting link for the map readers amongst us.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4531 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 am

ian16th wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am
What a wonderful emporium. I am going to get them re-centre some of the 1:500,000 charts I use.

Maps are also great works of art and civilised artefacts in of themselves.

I wonder if they make globes? No desk is complete without a globe.

Caco

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4532 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am

Caco wrote:No desk is complete without a globe.
To cheer the chaps up this morning. Globes on a desk.
index.jpg
index.jpg (7.4 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4533 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

ian16th wrote:
If you're doing any travelling Ian you need one of these.

Times Atlas.jpg
Our Bots friends would have then lived in the Bechuanaland Protectorate.

PS. It weighs in at 5.5 kg.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4534 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 am
I wonder if they make globes? No desk is complete without a globe.
Caco
It was having a globe that introduced me to the pleasures of being SLF with Varig!

While SAA were sanctioned, and there were no direct flights from SA to the USA, I needed to get from Joburg to San Jose. Ca.
My usual carrier when going to the US was BA. At the time on their B747-200 the upper deck was 16 seats of business class no smoking, which suited me fine. But when our in-house travel agent told me that she had booked me with BA from Joburg to Heathrow and then Heathrow to San Francisco I paused.
I was aware that the Heathrow to SF flight went over the N Pole, and decided that starting from Joburg, going over the N Pole to get to any other point on this earth, was far from idyllic.
So I got out my sons El Cheapo inflatable globe.
Putting a finger on each of Joburg and SF and drawing a greater circle, it passed over Brazil!
There was a Varig office in Joburg so I made enquiries and was offered a flight Joburg to Rio to SF, with a weekend in Rio, 4* Hotel B&B, for US$45!
I used them Joburg to Miami on a later trip, but never again.
Business Class in their DC-10's was the best I came across. Smashing wines.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4535 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am
ian16th wrote:
If you're doing any travelling Ian you need one of these.

Our Bots friends would have then lived in the Bechuanaland Protectorate.

PS. It weighs in at 5.5 kg.

Would have appeared as pink on those old imperial atlases they used to issue in schools in South Africa right up to the 1950's where all the colonies in the Empire were still coloured red or pink much to my mother's delight and my father's disgust when we as children used to pore over them at home as we started school in the 1960's! =))

"Protectorate" he would say in disgust... "Protect me from Albion" he would grumble and my mother would go into her usual haughty monologue about how the Boer Republics couldn't run their affairs and how the Afrikaners would still be using mielie husks as toilet paper if it wasn't for the British protection, which would drive my father into a rage! Atlases were a casus belli in my parents household! =))

I still find old atlases fascinating and redolent with charm, history and childhood dreams of being like Livingstone, Stanley or Speke and they took me thousands of miles away from boring old Parkhurst with its corrugated iron roofs in Johannesburg as a boy!

Caco

Capetonian

#4536 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am

I also love old maps and atlases and have a small collection from the good old days of Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Nyasaland, Bechuanaland, Basutoland, South West Africa, Portuguese East and West Africa and so on.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4537 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 am

Used to have complete coverage of the UK with OS maps. Inch to the mile or whatever it was officially. Huge box full.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4538 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

Morning all,
What is becoming normal, crisp, clear and cold.

I live on a ridge right next to the track and all my land is on the top of the ridge falling over to the North side.
It is roughly divided into three. A formal garden around the pool and house, A cleared area descending the hillside to the North and a jungle area a mainly overgrown Olive orchard steeply sloping down to my boundary. About 6,000sqm all told.
The cleared area has been rotavated by wild boar overnight. That is the closest they have come in the last nine years (that I know of)

Boring and Pointless
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4539 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 am
Used to have complete coverage of the UK with OS maps. Inch to the mile or whatever it was officially. Huge box full.
In the 60's the OS did a series, 4 miles to the inch, I kept a set in the car.
The AA did a series of Through Routes From:

That were available from their offices in major cities. I had the Leeds and Birmingham ones. Very handy when I was based in those places.
They were a standard AA map of the UK with recommended routes and mileages overprinted in red.
Leeds AA Map.jpg
Leeds AA Map.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4540 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am

My maps were not from the AA but flight planning. Used to half inch a few a week. They were used for low level navigation IP to target. Goodness knows how much they cost a year. As some folk here know you would cut them up into strips and mark your route on them then throw them away. Or in my case probably lose it on the floor of the cockpit and get hopelessly lost as usual.

Where was your shotgun Wodders, sounds like Sunday lunch to me. Presume they are hunted.