The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4441 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Regards superglue. I have always kept some in my on board first aid kit. It was used during the Vietnam War for closing wounds. Wherever possible my sailing would be solo and minor injuries do happen. Once sliced the tip off a finger (not including bone) and successfully glued it back on. The only other occasion was a scalp wound where a staple gun and superglue did a reasonable job. Luckily, not a lot of nerves in the scalp and hair regrew to cover what was, in effect, a pretty botched piece of surgery.
I now buy the stuff in packages of six one use mini tubes.
Recall reading somewhere that it was one of those accidental inventions. Possibly by Kodak?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4442 Post by om15 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Today's top tip, never invite a small sweet grey/blue cat into your house. Misty is continuing her trail of destruction, today she leapt into a tray containing several holly cuttings that were propagating on a bedroom window sill, the lot went everywhere and the carpets were treated to wet potting compost which was then trampled in with small paws.
However her behaviour is nothing compared to a remarkable lookalike called Padme, he attacked his friends ten grand painting and jumped through the canvas, this following a costly restoration.
While the painting was not completely destroyed, the repair costs are estimated to almost equal the entire purchase fee and Dr Grosvenor admitted the artwork will never return to its pristine condition.
He told The Sunday Telegraph: "I bought it in 2015 for £5,250. I probably spent the same again cleaning and reframing it.
"And as I stood back to admire my handiwork, up jumped our cat, landing forcefully in the centre of the painting with a crunch. Disaster.”
“Wright is one of my favourite artists, and I bought this example because it was in excellent condition, with all the original glazes and details wonderfully intact.
"Now, it's obviously in less good condition - but at least the cat landed on his clothing, and not his face.”

He added Padme is “not a fan of John Michael Wright, and regrets nothing.”
Padme.PNG
Padme.PNG (381.97 KiB) Viewed 466 times

Capetonian

#4443 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

if you don’t want to hear me crying about Brexit B******* don’t read the blue bits; if you don’t want to be bored about my love of flying avoid the brown bits and if you really couldn’t give a stuff about the family don’t bother with the green bits either….
Christmas/Year end letter from a friend who is as much a Remainer as I am a Brexiter. As I am colour blind (blue/green at least) I had to read it all and must admit to enjoying it despite our differences.

Am just sitting watching a couple of episodes of 'Not Going Out' What a cleverly scripted and well acted comedy - one of the very few British comedies that makes me laugh out loud.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4444 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:17 pm

reddo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:55 pm
I was hoping Slash might reply about super glue and the dangers there of.

Alarm set for 3am. i-)
There are of course many other hazards of wandering about a kitchen naked. Hot tea comes to mind.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4445 Post by llondel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Afternoon all, wild and windy here. I see SJC is taking off to the south (normally that's the approach), which is often my first warning of incoming bad weather. Took a couple of the dogs for a walk this morning (separately), will probably take the other a bit later if it's not too wet outside.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4446 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 am

Morning folks. We have now managed to break two rather nice large wine glasses in three days. I tapped one on the draining rack and Mrs Ex-Ascot knocked one over in the cupboard. We have got some extremely expensive ones in the dining room which we don't use in case we break them. Same situation with a dinner service. I bet that we are not the only ones with valuable glass and china locked away unused in case it gets broken. A bit pointless really.

Bit cloudy today. Jungle bunny noise since 07.00, morons.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4447 Post by Ibbie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:41 am

Good morning.

Blue sky out there, but cold again with 0c real feel although actually it is 4c.

You are not alone Ex-A. We have a cupboard with an expensive and unused set of china and a load of Waterford and Stewart cryistal glasses. Six of the crystal lager glasses are a special Diamond edition specially commissioned by Bitish Midland.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4448 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:10 am

"Not Going Out" - same opinion, brilliant and how rare that is !

Yes, best wine glasses and matching decanter kept on top of guestroom cupboard and unused in case we break them. Stupid.

Ricardian, have you put your storm lashings on ? See a nasty depression coming your way this evening.

Cold and dead calm here in London.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4449 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 am

Morning all,
Just climbing from a low of 10, 11 now, crisp, and cloudless. Very clear.
I don't understand why you have it so cold *Ibbie*

We also have a display of Waterford mostly golf prizes and SM has a Wedgewood dinner service which was her mother's pride and joy. It's complete ans when we refurbished the kitchen here a display cupboard was a priority :) All never used.

Will be do as told in the garden today,

Ritual lunch and Sausage Surprise tonight watching the final Luther or Les Mis (undecided as yet)

Is all
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4450 Post by OFSO » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 am

Wodrick, the Catalan weather service shows Figueras at 3° this morning which is colder than London. Big difference is it will be 14° at midday on the Spanish French Frontier and London will be half that.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4451 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 am

Yes but that's a way from here, Ibbie is only about 70k max, Some mornings I can see Mijas over Ma Lager bay.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4452 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:55 am

Am I going mad, or what ? Apologies if this is a repeat, I know I made this post this morning, but it has totally vanished. During the composition I was interrupted, so I guess Bill Gates's mob moved it/ hid it / obliterated it ? Maybe I put it in a totally different thread ?

I agreed with the comments about super glue, made by others, and also now buy one-shot 6 packs from the $2 shop.

Compasses. circa 1970 I bought a compass from a bazaar in Delhi, originally Indian Army, WW1 vintage, stamped 1914 with the W.D. broad arrow. Painted black to avoid glinting in the sun and attracting snipers, an army of helpers had polished off all the black paint and it glows a nice brass now. I paid 5 quid, and having got it home a friend asked me to buy him one next visit to Delhi, and when I did go back the merchant said - Sorry Sahib, a Lufthansa Captain came by and bought up all my stock ! Came in useful a few years ago when I had to complete a compass swing on my Turbulent.

Slasher

#4453 Post by Slasher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:55 am
Am I going mad, or what ? Apologies if this is a repeat, I know I made this post this morning, but it has totally vanished. During the composition I was interrupted, so I guess Bill Gates's mob moved it/ hid it / obliterated it ? Maybe I put it in a totally different thread ?
I thought you had already gone mad ExSp33d! =)) ;)))

On rare occasions you clunk Submit but it actually comes up in Preview mode. If you then leave it like that it won't be posted. I always check cThe typing area is clear to ensure it's posted and not vaporised into the Ops- normal ether.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4454 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 am

My phone has a magnetometer in it which allows one to use any of the interesting compass apps to be found on the worldly wide web. Of course it is not as good as my old Silva compass which works without a battery and is more favourable than the stick and shadow method of finding north.

Caco

Slasher

#4455 Post by Slasher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:03 am
is more favourable than the stick and shadow method of finding north.

Maybe yer stick isn't big enough mate. ;)))

IMG_0953.JPG

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4456 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 am

The last time I took my stick out it was green and the dog wanted to play fetch with it Slash! =))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4457 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 am

Just researched the compass: T.G. & Co Ltd London British Officer's MK III Military Compass. With WW2 1944. Valued at 300 GBP. And, yes Caco I always carry a Silva in the mountains of Amorgos. Know the paths like the back of my hand (well, we wrote the guide book) but when that cloud comes down it gets tricky.

Jungle bunny noise has stopped. It was from a small holding across the lagoon. They may have been there watering for the morning, now gone to church or the pub.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#4458 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 am

My cellphone has a compass app. It is frighteningly inaccurate particularly if used near anything electrical or metallic and it worries me that people might rely on such things as it can vary by about 90'. It is more accurate out of doors and away from other influences.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4459 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am

Our local equivalent of Jungle Bunny noise, is the sound of chavs playing football at our local Essex, Dell Boy millionaire's personal football pitch, which is just adjacent to his recently built house, which looks more like a prison than a mansion with its own personal cinema and multi stack car park!

Different place, more or less money, same kind of morons.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4460 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:20 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 am
My cellphone has a compass app. It is frighteningly inaccurate particularly if used near anything electrical or metallic and it worries me that people might rely on such things as it can vary by about 90'. It is more accurate out of doors and away from other influences.
Golly Cape, where do you live, Buck House? I have never needed a compass indoors. Biggest place I have ever lived was College Hall Cranwell. I could always find my way back to my room from the bar. The piece of string helped.