Selfies

General Chit Chat
frostbite
Capt
Capt
Re: Selfies

#21 Post by frostbite » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 am

If you want to see the selfie morons in full swing, take a look at the Times Square street cam.
Old enough to know better.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:52 am

Groundgripper wrote: I am always behind the camera.

Also one of my problems, the other being I don't own a smart phone.

I'm not a complete Luddite, I do have a dumb phone, that does have a minimum of camera function, but only in one direction.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#23 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:13 pm

It's rather satisfying when one of these mental retards takes a 'selfie' of themselves on the edge of a cliff then falls off. Even better if it is a video, you can hear them flapping their arms, the rushing air, the screams and then the crump. =))
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by 500N » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:44 pm

BackToAllNightLights wrote:The only "selfie" (sort of), I like.

She did far better than I did on my first aerobatic flight so I'm glad no "selfie" camera was filming :D :-bd

(When the pilot said "do you want to take control and do it", absolute silence,
he turned around and there was I, emptying my contents into the sick bag :D )

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Festival time here is a fekin nightmare. Tourists with bloody selfie sticks on a crowded pavement spin around to get a piccy in the other direction and hit you with the bloody stick. Words have been exchanged.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Tall Bird » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:59 pm

A visit to the newly renovated Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam a couple of years ago was ruined by the selfie stick brigade and other folk taking pictures. The final straw was a Chinese guy pushing us out of the way to get his photo. X(

A room steward shrugged and confirmed photography was now allowed although she couldn't understand why. According to her, the museum has an accessible, up to date, hi-tec digital collection so why would anyone want to waste time taking pictures just to post on social media. Or, more to the point, without admiring the original painting?! She didn't like my view that cameras, flashes etc were ok because the paintings were not gen. =))

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Fliegenmong » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:59 am

They should be heated to red hot, dipped in battery acid, and then rammed, blunt end first, up the backside of the moronic user.

Um, well....never given them too much thought actually...but I do think Cape's suggestion may be a tad violently over the top...
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:48 am

Nah, Cape's right. See my post above for my reason for agreeing. The only problem is that it's hard to find a good heat source or a container of battery acid on the Lawnmarket at lunchtime.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:22 am

It's rather satisfying when one of these mental retards takes a 'selfie' of themselves on the edge of a cliff then falls off. Even better if it is a video, you can hear them flapping their arms, the rushing air, the screams and then the crump. =))

Never seen one of those but would imagine that any example would be a good candidate for a Darwin Award.

However, part of me would still stop to think that in a case such as the above, someone would have lost their life in a completely senseless, possibly idiotic way. [-X And someone would have lost a Son/Daughter/Brother/Sister etc. :(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Slasher

#30 Post by Slasher » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:55 am

Who cares Pinky? One less swizzle stick swinger to worry about, and who knows what future injuries to innocents were avoided due to the demise of the cretin?

Slasher

#31 Post by Slasher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:42 am

I'm not inferring irresponsible swizzle stick users warrant death mate, but if it kills 'em through sheer stupidity then I absolutely have no pity whatsoever. We're talking natural selection (aka Darwin Award) at work here.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by probes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:41 am

BackToAllNightLights wrote:The only "selfie" (sort of), I like.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWDW18ygaw[/bbvideo]

:YMAPPLAUSE: Gosh, what a way to save on fun parks! :)
Terrific, absolutely.

Another one, a cyclist. "Died moments after taking the selfie". A sad one actually, but still - why would one take pics all the time?
"...Mr Greenway went on to explain that she regularly rode that very route after a few drinks, and taking a selfie on a bike was nothing unusual as she was so confident in the saddle.

'She had been taking some selfies on the main road, she did that regularly and was media savvy. She was not taking it at the moment of the accident. She was 100m from our house, one hand on the bars, quite relaxed, and probably had had a drink."

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 am

Re the immediate above;

There should be a 'sad, shaking of the head/shrugging of the shoulders' smilie!

But if I'm really honest with myself; Sympathy level; Zero!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Sisemen

#34 Post by Sisemen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:42 pm

The farce book reaction to that cycling selfie was entirely unsympathetic

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by OFSO » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 pm

We had a tsunami of young, nubile, partially-clothed (i.e. partially-unclothed) young ladies at the gym this morning. I longed to whip it out and take some photos of their frolics, many of which involved taking selfies of themselves and each other doing things with weights, bending each others limbs, examining their latest tats and so on. Sadly (apologies guys) this will have to await the arrival of my Snapchat glasses.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Magnus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 pm

I longed to whip it out

Should've used a camera, mate. Ye can get nicked for that sort of thing. :-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Two more there today - and some of the regular blokes appear to have left. Are we being taken over by nubile firm-breasted pert-buttocked young ladies with long black hair, in skin-tight lycra suits (and snooty looks I am afraid) ?

Lone Ranger
Snr FO
Snr FO

#38 Post by Lone Ranger » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:42 pm

What saddens me is the modern phenomena of someone getting their phone or camera out whilst standing in view of some really awesome/majestic/beautifull thing that they might not even get the chance to see again in their sad little lifetime and instead of taking a photo of the really awesome/majestic/beautifull thing they just use it as a backdrop for a selfie.....i want to punch them in the face for being so **** self obsessed.
Oh Blimey

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by 500N » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 pm

LR

That makes two of us.

I noticed an article in the media where a study was done of the psych profiles
of people who took selfies and didn't and those who did were lonely and looking
for approval.

I also think selfies take awful photos of the people taking them.