Re: Rant of the Day

#1281 Post by Wodrick » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:13 pm

The grass made we laugh it did
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Capetonian

#1282 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm

It's apparently to give users a better experience

The favourite buzzword. If you call them to complain you will kept waiting in a queue listening to unbearable muzak, interrupted by someone telling you that : "Your call is important to us, and we are doing everything we can to shorten your waiting time in order to improve your experience with us. "

frostbite
Capt
Capt

#1283 Post by frostbite » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:40 pm

The Dartford crossing was promised to be free - several decades ago.
Old enough to know better.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1284 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:35 pm

I just installed an ad blocker on my desktop mac.

Why I didn't do this earlier I do not know, it is so much faster loading
without all the annoying video and animated ads.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1285 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 am

Dartford Tunnel. Similar problem with a Toll Road twixt me and Auckland. All roadside Toll booths removed, not a major for me 'cos I've installed an Online account that is topped up as it drops to near zero, but tourists in Rental Cars ?? I guess if they are honest they can admit to the rental company that they owe a couple of toll charges, but if they don't - is Hertz going to extradite them. There is a Smartphone App. but unless they have established Global Roaming or invested in a local SIM card .... Life was easier before computers.

The charge is levied by cameras photographing the licence plate from an overhead gantry. I was recently only charged for one toll for my journey to Auckland and back. I assumed that I might have changed lanes at the critical time of passing the camera gantry, so now execute a quick Foxtrot as I pass the cameras but have been unable to repeat my initial success - so far. Watch this space.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1286 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:22 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote: There is a Smartphone App. but unless they have established Global Roaming or invested in a local SIM card .... Life was easier before computers.

When I visited the Land of the Long White Cloud, I bought a local Sim card for my dumb phone.
It was a relatively expensive event as I had no choice of supplier.

If I was correctly informed, the local Post Office used a none-standard incompatible system, and the one free enterprise outfit had a monopoly of 'standard' system phones.
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1287 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:12 am

Next time ....A telecom outfit called 2degrees position free SIM cards at some hotels - I scooped up half a dozen, which I dole out to visiting family, 'course you have to buy some data, but this starts at NZ $20 and they have some of the cheapest rates.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1288 Post by ian16th » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:57 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:Next time ....A telecom outfit called 2degrees position free SIM cards at some hotels - I scooped up half a dozen, which I dole out to visiting family, 'course you have to buy some data, but this starts at NZ $20 and they have some of the cheapest rates.

Thanks for the info, but my travelling days are over.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1289 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:20 am

Kindly check the expiration dates because the do have a limited shelf life.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1290 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Our harmonium should have been picked up from The Cape yesterday. The company subcontracted to transport it to Johannesburg phoned them up and asked if it was all packaged and ready to go. No they said you are supposed to do this (correct and all paid in full by us). Oh just find a few old blankets and some cardboard they say. The lady did her best and phoned around for masses of bubble wrap but was still not happy so put me in the loop today. In the last hour 10 e-mails have gone flying backwards and forwards. I have told the main company that I am not having a bunch of non reflective bozzos in boots chucking around a valuable 19th century delicate instrument. I want it crating. They agree which was the contract with them. I have told them that any damage will probably require renovation probably by someone from Europe. They have no f□cking idea. They will treat it like a sack of *****. Uncivilised w@nkers. Why did you let these people take over down there guys.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1291 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Why did you let these people take over down there guys.

'World opinion', whatever that means, played a part!

As for moving stuff, my move from Johannesburg to my current seaside abode was the worst one ever for damage and losses. I pointed out to them that I was not inexperienced as this was my 17th move, including 3 international ones. The contents of my RAF 'Deep Sea' boxes to and from Cyprus, suffered less damage.

I rejected the first three offers for my insurance claim, before reluctantly agreeing to the fourth offer. Which incidentally was 350% more than their original offer.

I also learned a new term, 'Loss of Appearance'! This is how dents in fridges are described to justify the derisory offer for damaging a perfectly good fridge, but not damaging how it operates. It was also used for damage to a wardrobe. Watch out for that one with your beloved antique.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1292 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Ian, we lost or had damaged to and in storage in the UK property to the value of £30,000. Because the agents renting out our house had complete idiot inventory clerks we couldn't prove what was there or the condition. Our lawyers in Oxford said we would not stand a chance in court. The agents in the meantime had gone into recivership. I lost two harmoniums, thus this purchase. The shipping from the UK of all our damaged furniture that remained was actually very good.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Lone Ranger
Snr FO
Snr FO

#1293 Post by Lone Ranger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:01 pm

I have been puzzled for weeks, over an apparent tomato thief, every time I visit my greenhouse, all the ripe tomatoes are gone and empty vines with brown stems remain...I mean...stealing tomatoes?, its not like they are expensive and I've not noticed any starving hordes anywhere nearby...Hmmm.

So, today at home (I'm usually out at the airfield at this time of day) I happened to look down on my Greenhouse from an upstairs window and noticed the whole tomato plant moving, Ha, I thought, Iv'e got you know, you fruity fiend..........got there only to observe it was Rat!!...

What sort of dirty low down rat steals blooming Tomatoes???
Oh Blimey

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1294 Post by 500N » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:What sort of dirty low down rat steals blooming Tomatoes???

A hungry one :D

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1295 Post by OFSO » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:17 pm

The waste pipe from one of the upstairs kitchens in this house blocks up once a year. However it doesn't 'back up because the excess fluid runs down into the mountain unbeknownst to us - only when tiny flies appear do we know it's stuffed. Today I went down and wound my Lidl spiral unblocker up the pipe which runs just below ceiling level, five metres in I removed the obstruction and came out of the cellar happy if drenched and odiferous.

My rant: despite all my clothes going in the machine, one shower followed by an alcohol rub-down, then another shower, a washing with 'Dove' soap and a spraying with "Old Spice", the mem' told me over lunch I stunk, which caused a terrible row.

Next time SHE can unblock the pipe (it's her fault it blocks anyway as she removes the sink plug hole filter when cooking).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1296 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:Ian, we lost or had damaged to and in storage in the UK property to the value of £30,000. Because the agents renting out our house had complete idiot inventory clerks we couldn't prove what was there or the condition. Our lawyers in Oxford said we would not stand a chance in court. The agents in the meantime had gone into recivership. I lost two harmoniums, thus this purchase. The shipping from the UK of all our damaged furniture that remained was actually very good.

Sorry, but not surprised to hear that.

Everyone I know that left property in the UK in the hands of agents/solicitors has had problems.

I know of one case where someone serving in the RAF, let a house while he was on an overseas tour. This was in the hands of a solicitor who was supposed to collect the rent to pay the mortgage.

He didn't, and the owner lost the house.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1297 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 am

Ian one of the directors the of letting agency who dealt with our let was a Lawyer (LLB) not solicitor he kept failing those exams. When they went under he claimed that he was only the director of the legal side of the company. Bought them out started up under the same name. I have no come back on the new company. All this happened whilst we were in total ignorance of the missing goods and the state of the storage facility. Is it coincidental that he is married to a frog. Has something rubbed off or we consider this just revenge?

Back to The Cape. Just had an e-mail. The lady in Jo'berg dealing with the sub contract in Paarl has put her foot down with a firm hand.

Off Topic
I am in the process of sorting out the correct packaging as I do not want to take a chance in the Organ getting damaged in the process ........I do not want this damaged in any way and would rather make sure from the word get go we do this right and make sure there are no damages , I do not want the courier to do half a job .

Sorry don't know how to quote.

Capetonian

#1298 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 am

LLB.
Legalised lying bastard?
Lying lowlife bloodsucker?
Lying legal bottomfeeder?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1299 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm

Sorry about the last post done in a hurry in town. Comma missing. It should have started: 'Ian, the director...' The b@stard was an Andrew for the record. And, to make it worse an old drinking mate. He commissioned an oil painting 5' high in a gilt frame which hung behind his desk in his office of him in all his tweed fishing and hunting gear. Un-loyal tosser. We would never let down mates. He also sold our house for us (well the tenants bought it so no work really) and made a bomb out of that. Gave us a small percentage discount. Then claimed when the ***** hit the fan that he had nothing to do with the mainstream business.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

French ATC

#1300 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:33 pm

French ATC walking off the job yet again September 14 and 15. Hundreds of flights cancelled already.