General Chit Chat
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: GPS

#21 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Further my last, yes Billy Connelly is available, among others, see:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/ma ... on-voices/

The problem with all of the celeb voices is their short vocabulary. For instance the celeb voice will say 'turn left' the computer voice will attempt to speak the street name and say 'turn left onto High Street'
Cynicism improves with age

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by BenThere » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm

May I point out, humbly, with deep apologies to those who might take offense, that the GPS system was developed, launched, and is operated and funded solely by US? And would it be too assertive to suggest that it was nice that the US gave it to the world, gratis, for the betterment of mankind?

I can't wait to see the responses of the Guardianistas.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by 603DX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:05 pm

BenThere wrote:May I point out, humbly, with deep apologies to those who might take offense, that the GPS system was developed, launched, and is operated and funded solely by US? And would it be too assertive to suggest that it was nice that the US gave it to the world, gratis, for the betterment of mankind?

I can't wait to see the responses of the Guardianistas.

Sincere kudos to the US for the free gift of GPS. Now may I, (most emphatically NOT a Guardianista), point out equally humbly that the Englishman Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented and developed the World Wide Web medium which has made it possible for you to tell us about that philanthropic act here, also without charge? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Not forgetting the Russians who pioneered the use of satellites?

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by BenThere » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 pm

the Englishman Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented and developed the World Wide Web medium which has made it possible for you to tell us about that philanthropic act here, also without charge?

I readily concede the marvelous creative genius abroad throughout the world. The internet, Netflix, Amazon - along with all the rest of the marvels of technology that have enhanced our lives incrementally since the industrial revolution (a product incipient of Great Britain), has largely been implemented in the US by non-European American intellect (Asian), but with European American management, organization and investment, which are all as necessary to the mix as the scientific creative excellence. Without the input of our Asian immigrants, I think the US contribution would suffer dramatically.

But that's the US key advantage - we can still attract the best and brightest from all over the world.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:24 pm

BenThere wrote:
the Englishman Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented and developed the World Wide Web medium which has made it possible for you to tell us about that philanthropic act here, also without charge?

I readily concede the marvelous creative genius abroad throughout the world. The internet, Netflix, Amazon - along with all the rest of the marvels of technology that have enhanced our lives incrementally since the industrial revolution (a product incipient of Great Britain), has largely been implemented in the US by non-European American intellect (Asian), but with European American management, organization and investment, which are all as necessary to the mix as the scientific creative excellence. Without the input of our Asian immigrants, I think the US contribution would suffer dramatically.

But that's the US key advantage - we can still attract the best and brightest from all over the world.

Ben There are you related to Sir Humphrey Appleby*? :D :YMHUG:

*as featured in the BBC sit -com Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister!
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by BenThere » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 pm

No, Mrs. Ex, why do you ask? I'm not familiar with Sir Humphrey.

Slasher

#28 Post by Slasher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Mrs Ex-A I think you'll need to get Bernard to handle this one...

Lone Ranger
Snr FO
Snr FO

#29 Post by Lone Ranger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:41 pm

I think you'll find the worldwide availability of GPS has more to do with the need to direct JDAMs at mr naughty's cave than any Philanthropic urges
Oh Blimey

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by 500N » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:48 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:I think you'll find the worldwide availability of GPS has more to do with the need to direct JDAMs
at mr naughty's cave than any Philanthropic urges

+ 1

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by ian16th » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:41 pm

BenThere wrote:No, Mrs. Ex, why do you ask? I'm not familiar with Sir Humphrey.

Some Examples

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by BenThere » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:54 am

Okay, I watched the episode offered and found it totally counterproductive, negative and smug. I've got no use for this sort of drivel.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by 500N » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:11 am

BenThere wrote:Okay, I watched the episode offered and found it totally counterproductive, negative and smug. I've got no use for this sort of drivel.

You just summed up the Public Service of the UK :D

No, seriously, it is a comedy and supposed to portray those features, the "I know better"
attitude that used to be around.

It was VERY popular all over the world.

Slasher

#34 Post by Slasher » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:26 am

I still remember this one... :))

[bbvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpS-yBj7gY[/bbvideo]

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:35 am

Ben There I was being complimentary about your oratory skills. No offence meant at all. :YMHUG:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by ian16th » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 am

Y'all must remember that humour or even humor, doesn't travel well in a westward direction across the Atlantic.

The only English comedian to 'make it' in the USA was Bob Hope and most Americans didn't realise that he was English.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am

The only English comedian to 'make it' in the USA was Bob Hope and most Americans didn't realise that he was English.

Wasn't Henny Youngman also born in England? :-\
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by BenThere » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 am

Ben There I was being complimentary about your oratory skills. No offence meant at all.

I had taken no offense. It was an honest enquiry. I have always held you in high regard and continue to do so.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#39 Post by 603DX » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm

BenThere wrote:

Yes, I appreciate your point that Uncle Sam can take over brilliant innovations created by others, add the necessary big bucks and "American know-how", and astonish the world with what results. That's been the pattern for many years, and how fortuitous that the vital font of creative genius is worldwide rather than exclusive to the USA.

I mean, where would NASA and the moonshots have originated from, had the "best and brightest" rocket scientist Wernher von Braun not been so attracted, as he was? After busying himself for several years devising ever more efficient means of using rocketry to slaughter my fellow citizens for Adolf, he was clearly persuaded to change his perspectives as a participant in the brain drain stateside.

Tom Lehrer put it rather well, in this little ditty ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Need to remember it was Alan Turing who invented the computer in the first place.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)