The totally-totally non-political show of all times: 'united by music' - Eurovision song contest!

General Chit Chat
probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
The totally-totally non-political show of all times: 'united by music' - Eurovision song contest!

#1 Post by probes » Sat May 11, 2024 7:16 pm

So, here we go.
Israel got to the finals (despite demonstrations demanding she quit; thousands of protesters around the venue, Miss Greta and all). The singer had to stay in her room for safety reasons.
Today she was transported to the venue with extra-security police forces. The Dutch singer was banned - reportedly for some backstage antics with female personnel, and he had protested against Israel participating; the French singer had expressed the disgust at Israel participating; and some countries, incl Finland's stars from last year, have refused to read out the points of their country.
Well, what a happy musical family.

talmacapt
Capt
Capt
Re: The totally-totally non-political show of all times: 'united by music' - Eurovision song contest!

#2 Post by talmacapt » Sat May 11, 2024 8:33 pm

I was going to say something about Eurovision, the only thing to watch, tonight, on Finnish tv, if you are not an ice hockey fan.

I have decided that, perhaps, I should not comment, after several glasses of "vino collapso".

Ah, it is the trouserless Finnish entry!!

It is now dark enough to sit outside and hope "Madame? Aurora" makes an appearance, coat, gloves and hat on.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The totally-totally non-political show of all times: 'united by music' - Eurovision song contest!

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 pm

talmacapt wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 8:33 pm
I was going to say something about Eurovision, the only thing to watch, tonight, on Finnish tv, if you are not an ice hockey fan.

I have decided that, perhaps, I should not comment, after several glasses of "vino collapso".

Ah, it is the trouserless Finnish entry!!

It is now dark enough to sit outside and hope "Madame? Aurora" makes an appearance, coat, gloves and hat on.
Nice song the Finnish one.

I hope Madame Aurora appears if you have to use all that winter gear

Regarding the competition. I hope Israel performs magnificently. It is funny how people decide to turn an event to a political rally and do so supporting the wrong side or at least decide to support the attackers.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm

Unable to watch it here if I wanted to. [-X
On the pay portion of a streaming network here. ^! :-q

PP

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 1DC » Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 pm

I would like the Israeli girl to do well just to pi$$ off the professional protesters squatting outside. Same protestors would be off like a shot if they thought a better cause would get them more publicity.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by probes » Sat May 11, 2024 9:40 pm

1DC wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 9:34 pm
I would like the Israeli girl to do well just to pi$$ off the professional protesters squatting outside. Same protestors would be off like a shot if they thought a better cause would get them more publicity.
Somehow it sounds reasonable. Somehow it seems ike the pros are being paid. Maybe in the US universities as well? Who by - any guesses?

talmacapt
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by talmacapt » Sat May 11, 2024 9:53 pm

A bit of a show about an hour ago, but nothing like yesterday.

Inside for a bit of warmth, it is +2 outside and I am somewhat cold.

Time for bed, said Zebedee (with apologies to " the magic roundabout").

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 am

Watched part of the Eurovision Song Contest as a friend wrote one of the songs. They only came in 12th, possibly because the singer is male, heterosexual, married with children, was not partially nude, doesn't practice witchcraft and didn't scream and rant. The winners, whoever they were, grabbed the glass trophy, ran screaming about the stage, and dropped it, shattering the glass. Says it all. First (and last) time I watched the ghastly spectacle.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 am

See Britain did well ^!
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by tango15 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:20 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:24 am
See Britain did well ^!
I haven't watched it for donkey's years, and have no intention of watching it again. It was mildly amusing when Terry Wogan did the background commentary, and he certainly saw it for what it was. It was long-ago hijacked by the gay community, though I have no idea why. Then, when the wall came down and Eastern Europe was admitted, they all voted for each other and no-one else.
Wherever you go in the world, but more particularly in Europe, you will hear British music playing in the background of bars, restaurants etc., and you can guarantee that any well-known British artist will fill an arena anywhere in the world.
The notion of not participating in this nausea-fest is anathema to the BBC, but I think a few years away from it would do us all good. The whole thing, like sport, has become too politicised, and the original concept of bringing Europe closer together has in fact made it more divided. Personally, I still fail to understand how Israel is allowed into this so-called competition. Is Lebanon allowed to participate?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 12, 2024 11:21 am

Israel participation: a lot I mean a lot when ATP/748 was the best regional aircraft and ATR didn't exist a lady who might know something, explained me there was an issue about frequencies hence they belong to the Eurovision

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Woody » Sun May 12, 2024 1:55 pm

Personally, I still fail to understand how Israel is allowed into this so-called competition. Is Lebanon allowed to participate?
How the hell do Australia qualify as well?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 12, 2024 5:14 pm

Woody wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:55 pm
Personally, I still fail to understand how Israel is allowed into this so-called competition. Is Lebanon allowed to participate?
How the hell do Australia qualify as well?
The competition is very very popular there. It got good ratings so a gesture to a captive audience

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by probes » Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 am
Watched part of the Eurovision Song Contest as a friend wrote one of the songs. They only came in 12th, possibly because the singer is male, heterosexual, married with children, was not partially nude, doesn't practice witchcraft and didn't scream and rant.
Didn't wriggle on the floor - must've been the decisive deficiency? :ymdevil:
12th was a good song, if you ask me - I checked the final results..
(gave up watching all of it this year - way too much fuss on the stage)

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by 1DC » Sun May 12, 2024 7:26 pm

I understand you can apply to participate in the competition and you pay an entry fee! Australia were invited for a reason that I cannot remember. Last year the BBC staged the competition in Liverpool on behalf of the Ukraine who were otherwise engaged, apparently it cost between 14 and 18 million pounds to put it on but nobody seems to want to say.. This years winner is supposed to stage next years competition.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by 1DC » Sun May 12, 2024 7:27 pm

I forgot to add this is the first year I have watched it for many years and overall I thought it was a load of rubbish.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun May 12, 2024 9:47 pm

Your sacrifice in checking is appreciated by those of us who avoided it, thinking it would still be a load of rubbish.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 12, 2024 10:58 pm

Deliberately didn't watch it even if it was available in NZ ? but was subjected to a sample as part of the 6.00 pm TV News programme. ( News ? who cares ?)

Song Contest ? There are no "Songs" anymore, so called "Singers" just rant and rave, perform gymnastics and throw guitars about and the words, if any, are unintelligible. Bring Back Vera Lynn, and Doris Day. ( even Frank Sinatra )

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 am

Des O'Connor ?

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Tue May 14, 2024 7:44 am

The only song worth saving to my car's drive was the one our friend wrote, German entry, sung by Isaak, the only normal person there.