The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#12221 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:58 am

Bloody quack is at the private hospital on an emergency. Fair enough but I am now in the pub and will only wait for an hour.

Woody it may have been cos who I was flying that I never had a problem. In fact they were brilliant. No queueing for take off and no holding inbound. Let us land and take off on the southerly runway every time.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12222 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:09 am

That thought had occurred to me EX-A, I’ve been involved in a few Royal departures on commercial flights and the amount of resources literally thrown at them is embarrassing.

Hope that you’re being well looked after by the medical staff.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12223 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:35 am

Boarding pass not accepted at security. It would have been easy for gate lady to enter barcode but preferred to send me back against queue to BA checkin where pass read ok. Flight now 80 mns delay.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12224 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:02 am

Temperature increased from -3C to +3C so far. Light winds and a brilliant blue sky shining on a snowscape. Lots of hammering and electric saw noises from the shower room renovation - very impressed with the attention to detail by Andy Plumber and Andy Joiner. At least I can't get their names muddled up! Off to Aberdeen shortly for my annual hearing test and hearing aid checkup.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12225 Post by Ibbie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am

Friend flew to LGW this morning. Three circuits then landed. Then an hours wait for a gate as aircraft occupying them needed de-icing before departure.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12226 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:06 am

Ex-A I hope the results are good.

I am wondering why your pax didn't use a military airport with very dedicated facilities and prefer to mess with a commercial airport.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12227 Post by tango15 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:21 am

Ibbie wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am
Friend flew to LGW this morning. Three circuits then landed. Then an hours wait for a gate as aircraft occupying them needed de-icing before departure.
This business of de-icing aircraft at the gate is antediluvian. Apart from the operational disruption, there is a significant environmental impact. At proper airports, eg AMS, CPH, there is a dedicated area for this to happen, and any queueing is done there. That stuff is not exactly environmentally friendly, and when it is used at the gate, the pax traipse it into the terminal on their shoes, and it gets onto the tyres of the service vehicles and is spread yet more widely.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12228 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 am

My SA teacher friend sent me this image of the view outside his new flat in Moscow this morning. He starts work tomorrow. He arrived in Russia two days ago. Today is a holiday at his school it being woman's day there.

He tells me the shops are full of food and it is all as varied, and cheaper, than it is in South Africa. It does beg the question which place is more at war?

Moscow.JPG
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12229 Post by Ibbie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:31 am

Friend is still on aircraft awaiting gate, two and a half hours after landing.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12230 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:32 am

OFSO, your aircraft has left Perry Oaks and is on its way to BCN :D

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#12231 Post by k3k3 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:34 am

OFSO wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:06 am
As ever, pfaffing about to get to BCN airport.
Pfaff? Are you smuggling a German sewing machine?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12232 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:43 am

Morning folks.

A bit grey outside but no sign of white stuff falling from the heavens.

Off to the fang farrier later today for me periodic check-up. Got the reminder on Monday, wandered in yesterday to book the appointment, told they had a choice so opted for one of today's - NHS dentist as well.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12233 Post by Wodrick » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:57 am

Morning All,
Pretty much the same as over the bay, 18c presently, my seaweed says 21c and cloudy, my clouds being blue.

Off to the hypermarket, the cleaner is here.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12234 Post by Ibbie » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:12 am

Three hours after landing, friends aircraft is just going on stand at Gatport.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12235 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:28 am

Just seen the ghost of Capetonian waiting to board our flight. (Which he would have taken in past years...)

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12236 Post by tango15 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:38 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 am
My SA teacher friend sent me this image of the view outside his new flat in Moscow this morning. He starts work tomorrow. He arrived in Russia two days ago. Today is a holiday at his school it being woman's day there.

He tells me the shops are full of food and it is all as varied, and cheaper, than it is in South Africa. It does beg the question which place is more at war?

Moscow.JPG
None of which surprises me, GA. Russia can source its food from many places, whether there are 'sanctions' in place or not. You can be sure that products will be arriving from countries which are members of the EU, Hungary being a case in point. As you will know from the days of sanctions on SA, the Germans and the French are particularly adept at this. The whole thing is a joke.

My Russian contacts have all gone to ground, no doubt fearful of reprisals if they are seen to be contacting the 'enemy', but I imagine their lives are little changed from a year ago. Of course, for political reasons, it is always shown as being cold and full of snow in the winter, which parts of it are, as per your photo, but in the south, eg Sochi, it is 15C today, about normal for this time of the year and crops are being grown. Plenty of food is available from the 'Stans', where the weather is even kinder.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12237 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:59 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:38 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:29 am

Moscow.JPG
None of which surprises me, GA. Russia can source its food from many places, whether there are 'sanctions' in place or not. You can be sure that products will be arriving from countries which are members of the EU, Hungary being a case in point. As you will know from the days of sanctions on SA, the Germans and the French are particularly adept at this. The whole thing is a joke.

My Russian contacts have all gone to ground, no doubt fearful of reprisals if they are seen to be contacting the 'enemy', but I imagine their lives are little changed from a year ago. Of course, for political reasons, it is always shown as being cold and full of snow in the winter, which parts of it are, as per your photo, but in the south, eg Sochi, it is 15C today, about normal for this time of the year and crops are being grown. Plenty of food is available from the 'Stans', where the weather is even kinder.
Indeed they were tango15. The most obvious civilian issues we had at times in the 1970's were the cultural boycott, rerouting of SAA flights, and, more importantly, initial petrol rationing due to the oil embargo, which became less obvious as SA became more adept at buying on the, expensive, black market . On the military front, SA struggled, but got by, by importing on the black market, stealing to self manufacture, or otherwise copying the more sophisticated weaponry needed to prosecute the war in SWA/Angola (and elsewhere), and this problem only ramped up in the 80's as the USSR continued to supply their proxy Cuba and her allies, some pretty sophisticated weaponry towards the end of that decade.

Now, in more supposedly pacific times under the new regime, SA is running out of fuel, electricity and whose infrastructure is visibly crumbling year by year. Food is still in plentiful and varied supply but relatively expensive to the employed, and unaffordable to the unemployed majority. Don't even mention the moribund armed forces. (Meanwhile more sophisticated, civilised states like Australia forge ahead.... https://aviationweek.com/podcasts/check ... capability)
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12238 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:29 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:06 am
Ex-A I hope the results are good.

I am wondering why your pax didn't use a military airport with very dedicated facilities and prefer to mess with a commercial airport.
LHR has a Royal Pavilion. It has a private entrance and it's own customs and immigration. Also closest for London. RAF Northolt is used for smaller aircraft but only has a 5,000' runway.

After retiring to the pub the quack said he couldn't see me until 13.00. That I think would be doubtful. Went home. Then his secretary said next appointment Tuesday. I have e-mailed the head of the practice to ask him to sort it out.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12239 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Don’t tell the OFSO’s , but their flight is currently showing an arrival time of 17.40Z :ymsick:

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12240 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:17 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:46 pm
Don’t tell the OFSO’s , but their flight is currently showing an arrival time of 17.40Z :ymsick:
Should have gone by train. =)) But then snow on the line.