The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#12081 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:28 am

Dawn, dry out, forecast snow absent. Very windy though. Red alert for coastal seas.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12082 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:22 am

Karearea wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:09 am
What a very pleasant autumn day, all windows open all day, temp. 8°C to 22°C and still 21°C.
Mostly blue dome skies.
Morning folks. Living down here and in Greece I get confused with seasons. Guess that it is autumn here but apart from the rainy season nothing changes here. Leaves fall off trees all year and you can grow anything all year. Bananas and fruit trees being watered. Another cracking day.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12083 Post by Ibbie » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 am

Morning all. Only 7c outside but yet again clear blue sky above with a chill wind blowing.

Your comments about growing things year round would not be welcome with the potato farmers in Northern Ireland. ex-A. One has just been on Today prog saying brits should eat more spuds at this time of year and eat salad in summer only, so no need for imports.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12084 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am

If imports from Spain to the UK travel by road they are out of luck next month as French strikers are planning to close everything down including refineries, shipping, rail etc. Starts March 6th. Oh and ATC, but that need not be said.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12085 Post by Wodrick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:13 am

Morning all,

Pretty much the same as over the bay, biting wind and 10c, clear sky. Best guess is 15c.

A local holiday, Andalucia Day, most will observe and bridge a long weekend.

Should be a wood run but they closed. Think a bit of a car day, wash, TPx, oils etc.

There may be other plans naturally, if so I am not yet on the need to know list.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#12086 Post by reddo » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am

If you like to spend time watching Sean Evans' Youtube show "Hot Ones - First we feast" then you might find the following videos amusing. In total they add up to 23 minutes.

Caution. I swear!

The 30 minute Youtube show is brilliant. Actors, musicians, chefs, writers, scientists appear on the show to be interviewed while eating ever increasingly hot chicken wings.
It's a brilliant concept and is very popular among the interviewees. Some notable appearances are from Gordon Ramsay, Dave Grohl, Lorde, Zoe Kravitz, just to name a few.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12087 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:15 pm

reddo wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am
If you like to spend time watching Sean Evans' Youtube show "Hot Ones - First we feast" then you might find the following videos amusing. In total they add up to 23 minutes.

The 30 minute Youtube show is brilliant. Actors, musicians, chefs, writers, scientists appear on the show to be interviewed while eating ever increasingly hot chicken wings.
It's a brilliant concept and is very popular among the interviewees. Some notable appearances are from Gordon Ramsay, Dave Grohl, Lorde, Zoe Kravitz, just to name a few.
Highly enjoyable trio of videos Reddo. Love it, all the chops smacking, leading to nose running, eyes watering pain! =))

On the Scoville unit rating thing, I was reminded of a Mexican restaurant (name sadly forgotten now) in Dallas that one of my colleagues, a charming, quiet and slow talking Ohioan, took me to after I had boasted that "I ain't afraid of no steenking chilli". We sat down to a smorgasbord (mixing my cultures there) of meat, chillies and chilli sauces, and as I ruminated over the menu, I idly picked up a chilli resting on one of the dishes, and was surprised when my generally placid colleague slapped my hand from mouth, his words, as ever, coming out slow but accurate, "if you had eaten that you might have blistered your mouth, or at the very least have ruined your evening! Turned out that what I was about to bite into was the dreaded Carolina Reaper. I was suitably abashed and thereafter didn't dare try a bite of the wicked looking pods, peppers and fiendish looking berries on the table, but stuck to the bottle sauces where one could at least read the labels before dying.

PS - One shudders at the thought of the later human performance factors in flight after that chilli odyssey! =))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12088 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 pm

With my maternal ancestors having been stationed at Jhansi, I have inherited a liking for hot (or as we say in Germany, "scharf") dishes. However I do find the more potent chillis switch off the taste buds which renders a meal pointless.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12089 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:17 pm

These two are entirely nuts...

Folks this is what eating hot peppers does to you...

Later....JPG

Ok, 8 years later... :))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12090 Post by Woody » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:40 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am
If imports from Spain to the UK travel by road they are out of luck next month as French strikers are planning to close everything down including refineries, shipping, rail etc. Starts March 6th. Oh and ATC, but that need not be said.
Getting some practice for the summer holidays :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12091 Post by llondel » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:18 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am
Again? Why are the French revolting?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12092 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:00 pm

Seriously? You don't know?

Actually it is because the cossetted French, having the earliest retirement age in the EU (62) are objecting to a proposal to raise it to 64, which would still be the earliest retirement age in the EU. Why does Macron want to do this? Because the pension systems (there are over 40 interlocking systems in France) are near bankruptcy. And with 60% of the French population not liable to pay income tax, there's nowhere else to turn.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12093 Post by llondel » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:40 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:00 pm
Seriously? You don't know?
It was partly rhetorical. They have so many possible reasons, it's not always clear which is today's.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12094 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:17 pm

An attempt in 2022 to raise money by applying an 8% tax on the sale of deodorants in French pharmacies brought in €3.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12095 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Musta bin a tourist!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12096 Post by OFSO » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 pm

Sitting here in living room, door shut. Fire lit. Watching TV. Suddenly living room door pushed open, Fatty Catty sticks head around door, miouws. "Food! Food!" Front house door blew open in wind, cat came in on the off chance....

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12097 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:46 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 pm
Sitting here in living room, door shut. Fire lit. Watching TV. Suddenly living room door pushed open, Fatty Catty sticks head around door, miouws. "Food! Food!" Front house door blew open in wind, cat came in on the off chance....
Are you sure it wasn't saying "Your door is open"?

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12098 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:47 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:46 pm
OFSO wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 pm
Are you sure it wasn't saying "Your door is open"?
A reward for that information would be appropriate.

PP

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12099 Post by Hydromet » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:02 am

reddo wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:51 am

I once hosted a couple of Burmese engineers, and we were invited to the home of one of their former lecturers, also Burmese, living in Australia, for dinner. The lecturer had a garden full of the various foods and spices that he liked, for the food he was accustomed to.
The meal was excellent, quite spicy but not too hot. However, he had on the table several bowls of small chillis, and all the Burmese were eating them in the way we'd eat nuts from a dish. Figuring they must be quite mild, I tried one. Just one. Bloody near killed me. Those things are Chernobyl strength!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12100 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:02 am

Morning all. Bitterly cold again. Ban on fountains and hosepipes announced as drought intensifies.