Rats

General Chit Chat
500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Rats

#21 Post by 500N » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Chuks wrote:I would suggest that this site might be better promoted on its own merits, with people coming over not just out of need but out of preference. That said, you won't need to do much to beat what Rob hands out by way of treatment of those posting.

A few PM's to get it going isn't over promoting it IMHO.

And looking at the comments of some of the recent arrivals about it being a "fun place", I think it will naturally attract people.

Sasless
CPL
CPL

#22 Post by Sasless » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:41 am

Chuks Dear Boy.....we always had great hopes it would be you that disappeared as well as your posts.
Ass, Tin, Ticket...The Aircraft is a Re-Usable Container for the protection of the contents.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by reddo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:35 pm

In the bad old days, Rob was the VOR while Danny was a irrational tyrant.....

DX Wombat
First Solo
First Solo

#24 Post by DX Wombat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:45 pm

One shall contact one's apparently liquidated grandson and supply the coordinates for this place. ;)

Joy ride
FO
FO

#25 Post by Joy ride » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Sasless wrote:Far better to be the First Rat off the Ship than the Last Rat.

Captain Schettino agrees.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#26 Post by Octopussy2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:13 pm

Oh great, so according to Rob the Mod over there I'm a slack-jawed gawper, and now here I'm grey and nondescript! <sobs>

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#27 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Octopussy:

I wouldn't worry what Rob says... Hell, he said in our departing PM flurry that PPRuNe didn't need people like me... I think he straw that broke the camels back was when I pointed out it probably didn't need people like him either...

As for grey and non-descript, t'is the interweb... we are all just 0's and 1's... :))
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by limeygal » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Octo-I personally have no ill will toward anyone on Pprune, but I do like the more informal atmosphere over here. If Rob and his ilk prefer the ramblings of the cretins on R & N, that's fine. If they want to rid themselves of JB-then that's fine too. I really couldn't care less what he or Piri whatsit think of us. When people start belittling perfect strangers, then they clearly don't have much joy in life. What does aggravate me, is when they try to spoil things for others. Who the hell are they anyway? I'll take grey any day over meaness :YMHUG:

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:38 pm

Alisoncc wrote:I was chucked off last year - for six months, with not a word as to why. Wasn't a happy girl at all.

Alison

Sent from your PDP-11 running RSX-11D? My, oh my is that a flash from the past for me Alison. The very first system I worked with professionally, aside from military systems, was a DEC PDP-11/780 running RSX-11M! pip anyone? Or how about a bru? :ymblushing:
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Sasless wrote:Chuks Dear Boy.....we always had great hopes it would be you that disappeared as well as your posts.

Good to see you again SASless. But isn't that a bit harsh on chuks? Or is it all to do with that money he still owes you? :)) :))

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:13 pm

rgbrock1 wrote:Sent from your PDP-11 running RSX-11D? My, oh my is that a flash from the past for me Alison. The very first system I worked with professionally, aside from military systems, was a DEC PDP-11/780 running RSX-11M! pip anyone? Or how about a bru? :ymblushing:

That comes, as a response, to all the dorks I get emails from in broken English and with bad grammar in which they state "sent from my Iwhatsit".

Alison
PS. Thought it was a VAX/780 when I last played with them. Mind you that was an awfullly long time ago - Applications Eng with DEC 1979-83.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:57 am

Alisoncc wrote:
rgbrock1 wrote:Sent from your PDP-11 running RSX-11D? My, oh my is that a flash from the past for me Alison. The very first system I worked with professionally, aside from military systems, was a DEC PDP-11/780 running RSX-11M! pip anyone? Or how about a bru? :ymblushing:

That comes, as a response, to all the dorks I get emails from in broken English and with bad grammar in which they state "sent from my Iwhatsit".

Alison
PS. Thought it was a VAX/780 when I last played with them. Mind you that was an awfullly long time ago - Applications Eng with DEC 1979-83.

You are correct, Alison, there was the VAX 11/780 which I worked with for a relatively short period of time and there was the PDP 11/44 which is what I cut my teeth on, so to speak. The latter did indeed run RSX-11M.
Actually, I still work with VMS/OpenVMS to this day. Right now I manage several OpenVMS clusters running v8.4 on HP rsx2600 Integrity servers. I do Linux as well but I do NOT do windows!

Regards

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Knew the PDP11/44 well. They had just been released when I was with DEC, and I knew RSX-11M. Still got all the DEC certificates for the 11-M courses I did. During my time with DEC I was an Applications Engineer responsible for Technical OEM's in Sydney. Got involved in all sorts of weird and wonderful projects - from coal loaders to satelite monitoring. T'was fun.

This site runs on a CentOS box in my study. CentOS being a community supported version of Red Hat Linux - RHEL. Brilliantly stable and relatively hack-proof.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Alisoncc wrote:Knew the PDP11/44 well. They had just been released when I was with DEC, and I knew RSX-11M. Still got all the DEC certificates for the 11-M courses I did. During my time with DEC I was an Applications Engineer responsible for Technical OEM's in Sydney. Got involved in all sorts of weird and wonderful projects - from coal loaders to satelite monitoring. T'was fun.

This site runs on a CentOS box in my study. CentOS being a community supported version of Red Hat Linux - RHEL. Brilliantly stable and relatively hack-proof.

Alison

Ah DEC. The good ol' days. When requesting support was answered by someone knowledgeable. Unlike today. ("Is the green light blinking?" Or, "Is the computer plugged in?")

I'm familiar with CentOS but much more so with RHEL. Or SuSE/ OpenSuSE for that matter.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#35 Post by Blacksheep » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm "people coming over out of preference". I was fed up of the way the old place was being moderated into mediocrity. The whole point of Internet forums is to exchange opinions with people who don't necessarily agree with one. When I ventured to suggest that may be the case, our moderator suggested I should piss off, so I did.

Sasless
CPL
CPL

#36 Post by Sasless » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 pm

RGB....as erudite a fella as Chuks can be....his improved educational standards came long after his failure to comprehend the written word it would appear.

The guy, although well meaning, seemed to confuse the Names on the Bar Cards on an altogether too frequent a basis for it to be mere Chance.

It is not he is refusing to pay....he just cannot bring himself to admit that deficiency in his ability to read well back in those Days.

Being the Gentleman that I am, I am loathe to demand repayment as one should not take advantage of someone with Disabilities.

A bit of Charity when given should be done in as inconspicuous a manner as possible.

Thus, I hope now that he is a Man of Letters....he can find it in his Heart to pass along this act of kindness of mine.
Ass, Tin, Ticket...The Aircraft is a Re-Usable Container for the protection of the contents.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by probes » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 pm

people going a bit mad with new-found freedoms and unloading a bit heavily

you puzzle me, Chuks. Haven't we been living in a free world? /:)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#38 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:42 am

Probes, it ain't a free world on t'other site.

You seem to be very active here. Haven't you got work to do?!!! Or have you finished 'that' project?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#39 Post by probes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 am

Ex-Ascot wrote: Haven't you got work to do?!!! Or have you finished 'that' project?

I sure do! (have work to do) - that's why I'm glued to the keyboard, and then, you know.... :-B

sprintman

#40 Post by sprintman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 am

rgbrock1 wrote:
Alisoncc wrote:I was chucked off last year - for six months, with not a word as to why. Wasn't a happy girl at all.

Alison

Sent from your PDP-11 running RSX-11D? My, oh my is that a flash from the past for me Alison. The very first system I worked with professionally, aside from military systems, was a DEC PDP-11/780 running RSX-11M! pip anyone? Or how about a bru? :ymblushing:

PDP 11/70 or VAX 11/780? Don't forget TOPS20 or RSTS/E.