Insurance

General Chit Chat
Keef

Insurance

#1 Post by Keef » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Why is is that UK insurance companies charge a hefty premium for keeping the insurance with them?

Last week, M's car insurance came up for renewal, and the existing company "had to" increase the price by 12%. We shopped around and got a quote for several percent LESS than last year.

Today, I got the renewal notice on what was our "bolt hole" in Norfolk that we don't use any more and have let out to a charming chap. 14% increase and "No need to send renewal instructions because we will renew automatically using last year's credit card." A little online quote-gathering and we achieved a 22% reduction versus last year (net 34% better than the "renewal" offer) - from the same insurer! The hardest part was contacting them to tell them NOT to renew automatically.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Insurance

#2 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:00 pm

Mrs C16 and I were with Direct Line on separate car insurance policies but with a multi-car discount. I had changed my insurance to Churchill at my last renewal and when her policy came up for renewal she asked Direct Line if her quote was for a single or multi-car policy as I was no longer insured with them. They confirmed it was for a single car policy.

I then went on to my insurer Churchill and got a quote for her with a multi-car discount. The multi-car Churchill quote for her was identical - to the penny - to the Direct Line single car quote.

The policies of both Churchill and Direct Line are underwritten by UK Insurance Limited. Car insurance discounts are not what they might seem.

Incidentally, when my buildings/contents insurance came up for renewal I changed my voluntary excess from £50 to £250 and knocked £100 - almost 30% - off the renewal quote. Well worth it.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

angels
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by angels » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Simple answer. Inertia.

That's the term they use for people who think they'll get around to checking for cheaper options at some stage but never actually do.
All generalisations are false, including this one.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by om15 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:17 pm

I have Churchill for my car insurance (Business use, +20 K per annum), several years ago I hit a deer at high speed, severe damage to the car, Churchill were great, courtesy car, perfect repair, phone calls to check that I was undamaged, no claims discount protected.
I automatically just renew, loyalty goes both ways, when I needed them they were great, I might get a few quid off somewhere else, but they have proved to be value for money so I will stick with them.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Was it not Neddy Seagoon who said "Insurance - the White Man's Burden" ? Someone tell me before I have to get all my Goon Show tapes out and play 'em.......

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Don't be surprised if the same principal applies to your telecommunication contacts (mobile and fixed line). As a matter of fact I was once told if I want to get a better deal, I should contact another operator, take up their offer and wait the counter offer from my current operator.

henry crun

#7 Post by henry crun » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:25 pm

OFSO - Very close, it was Sellers:

http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show ... ans_burden

hmm, hmm, Pevensey Bay Lifeboat Shed, wasn't it?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:33 pm

But, my dear Mr Crun: Script by Spike Milligan and Larry Stephens ...but voiced by Sellers.....hmmm.