Cyclists & Cycling AKA: Lycra Loonies

General Chit Chat
rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Cyclists & Cycling AKA: Lycra Loonies

#41 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:I don't want to even think about the cost of the bikes owned by our fellow members.

I got mine on sale as it was last year's model. Quite inexpensive at $1,000 US.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

reddo
Capt
Capt

#42 Post by reddo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 am

The Ibis Mojo HD when new in 2010 was £4,500. My Whyte was £2,700 last year.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by 500N » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:I don't want to even think about the cost of the bikes owned by our fellow members.

Mine cost $50 :D

On a serious note, awesome bikes guys.

Capetonian

#44 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 am

Many cyclists are a bloody menace. Selfish, arrogant, abusive, dangerous, and reckless. Often smelly too, as they waft past in a cloud of BO. Why should they be allowed to behave in a manner that if they were drivers or pedestrians, would get them locked up?

They are given cycle paths and tracks but still play with their toys on pavements. An elderly couple who live near me are too frightened to walk into the village because of the two wheeled thugs who use the pavements. This is appalling.

Dangerous cycling should be a crime, say two thirds of drivers amid claims they are treated too harshly

Poll shows 73 per cent of drivers think cyclists should face same laws as drivers
Drivers also think cyclists should have to pass a test and pay road tax
More than half of motorists said cyclists should have roadworthy bike certificate
Almost six in ten drivers said the cycle lanes have failed to improve traffic flow

Almost two-thirds of motorists believe the offence of dangerous driving should be extended to cyclists.

A poll of more than 10,000 drivers conducted for the Daily Mail reveals widespread concerns that cyclists are treated too leniently.

Some 73 per cent of drivers said cyclists should be subject to similar legal requirements as motorists. And of these just under nine in ten called for new laws to prosecute cyclists for a two-wheeled equivalent of dangerous driving.

A change in legislation is already being considered by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling after a woman died last year when she was knocked down by a rider whose bike had no front brake. The cyclist was acquitted of manslaughter but convicted of wanton and furious driving, an offence falling under an Act from 1861.
Drivers have said they want tougher legislation for cyclists and for them to pay contribution to the roads

Drivers have said they want tougher legislation for cyclists and for them to pay contribution to the roads

More than eight in ten drivers who called for tougher legislation for cyclists backed the introduction of compulsory insurance, while almost three-quarters (73 per cent) said they should be required to wear fluorescent clothing.

Around seven in ten said they should be legally required to pass a road proficiency test, and wear a helmet. More than half (56 per cent) said cyclists should have a roadworthy bike certificate – the equivalent of an MOT – while 52 per cent want cyclists to have to pay road tax.

Almost six in ten drivers said the cycle lanes designed to alleviate congestion and increase safety for cyclists have failed to improve traffic flow, or made the situation worse.

The poll of more than 10,400 drivers was conducted by campaign group FairFuelUK.
Cyclist Charlie Alliston was acquitted of manslaughter but convicted of wanton and furious driving, an offence falling under an Act from 1861

Its founder Howard Cox said: ‘What infuriates the highest taxed motorists in the world is what they see as the lack of fairness apportioned to all road users.

‘They believe cyclists should be making some financial contribution to roads and increasing cycle lanes they currently benefit from.

‘They also want to see the compulsory use of helmets, cyclists to be road insured, wear fluorescent clothing, pass a road proficiency test and more prosecutions for the increasing episodes of dangerous cycling.’

The poll also revealed that almost nine in ten drivers (88 per cent) believe that traffic has got worse over the last five years.
Alliston crashed into 44-year-old Kim Briggs as she crossed the road on her lunch break

Almost seven in ten cited the simple fact that there are more cars on the roads.

But more than half (52 per cent) blamed years of underinvestment in the roads, while four in ten attributed the increase in congestion to more potholes.

More than four in ten (43 per cent) blamed bad driving – such as motorists who hog the middle lane on motorways.

Traffic has hit record levels, fuelled in part by the surge in delivery vans caused by the internet shopping boom. The Government has said it is investing a record £23million in improving roads, including on tackling congestion.

Roger Geffen, policy director at Cycling UK, said: ‘Cycling UK strongly supports responsible behaviour by all road users and is very concerned about drastic cuts to roads policing in recent years.

‘However, if we want grandparents and grandchildren alike to be able to cycle safely and normally for day-to-day journeys, it makes no sense to impose unnecessary new rules and costs on would-be cyclists, particularly children.

‘The top priority must be to create safe, cycle-friendly streets and junctions, while strengthening the enforcement of our existing traffic rules, rather than adding new ones.’

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#45 Post by unifoxos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 am

Almost two-thirds of motorists believe the offence of dangerous driving should be extended to cyclists.

Around 1960 I, young and stupid, crashed my cycle into a car. I was prosecuted for riding a pedal cycle without due care and attention and fined GBP 2 with thirty-six shillings costs. I am not aware that the facility to prosecute others for this has been repealed, other than plod have no interest in doing anything about this unless it happens to be a high-profile situation.

As other pigs once might have said "Two wheels good, four wheels bad."
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Cpt_Pugwash
Capt
Capt

#46 Post by Cpt_Pugwash » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 am

This is quite a timely thread,it was just last week that I had a near miss with one of these loonies.
Exiting our local supermarket late evening, looked to the right to see two very bright lights up at the top of the hill, checked left which was clear, about to emerge when those two lights went steaming past the front of the car. Turns out it was a cyclist with two bright LED lights close together on the handlebars, in the dark giving the impression of a vehilce much further away.
I wonder how many more people will be caught out by that.

And another thing..
I was under the impression that flashing red or white lights were prohibited if fixed to a vehicle, only permitted if on the person, something else that plod doesn't seem bothered about.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#47 Post by izod tester » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:25 am

Modern cycle headlights are very bright, yet there is currently no requirement for cyclists to have any method of dipping them to avoid dazzling oncoming road users. Some cyclists are aware of the problem and Germany is considering some legislation to mitigate the problem. See https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/chris-juden/bobby-dazzlers

reddo
Capt
Capt

#48 Post by reddo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Oh I have been enjoying the glorious UK summer blatting around on the MTB. Fantastic fun.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by Hydromet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 am

Plenty enjoying the Sydney winter, too.
MTB 6.jpg
MTB 6.jpg (156.07 KiB) Viewed 444 times

reddo
Capt
Capt

#50 Post by reddo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Looking good! It's been one of the best summers in the UK I have experienced. Almost like an Australian summer. ;)
The trails finally got some rain on them and it's so grippy now.

Sisemen

#51 Post by Sisemen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 am

Proof positive that cyclists are sexless - and, by extension, humourless - individuals =))

Slasher

#52 Post by Slasher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 am

Who the hell would be bothered gathering data about that and then drawing up a bloody chart? 🙄

Excuse me ma'am but do you own a car?

Yes I do.

Did you f**k last week?

Er...if you must know I did engage in sexual intercourse yes.

Thank you for your participation.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 am

"Who the hell would be bothered"

Well, it has certainly changed my 'adverts' on dating sites...... =))

Slasher

#54 Post by Slasher » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:24 am

I remember my first dating video. Didn't quite go as planned.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 am

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 am

They say that those the Gods want to destroy they drive mad first and the 'furiosi' don't come worse than this, not so lycra clad, lout! Certainly a case of furious cycling and an egregious case of hit and run!
A 30-year-old man has been arrested after a suspected hit-and-run collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian left a woman fighting for her life.

The man was detained at an address in Islington, north London, on suspicion of causing bodily harm, failing to stop and failing to report a collision after contacting police at about 11pm on Wednesday, Scotland Yard said.

Officers are continuing to appeal for information over the incident on Kingsland High Street in Dalston, east London, on Tuesday evening when a female pedestrian was knocked over by a cyclist on an electric-assisted bike.The woman, 56, remains in hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said.

The injured pedestrian, has been named locally as Cihan Sakine, 56.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/h ... spartanntp

Caco