The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread I

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread 1

#2061 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 am

Morning folks it is a town day. Jolly warm.

The agricultural department grow trees and shrubs to plant out around town but a member of the public can go and buy from them. Very cheap at about 40p each. Went there two weeks ago selected three shrubs. No one to take the money. Went back two days later, no you need to go and pay at the forestry office. Forestry office, you need to pay at agriculture. Gave up. This morning went to agriculture, no not this office the other agricultural office down the road. T'other office all staff in a meeting come back at 14.00. Very helpful chap saw we had problems and dug a chap out of the meeting. The trees we want have a double name. He thought we these were two different trees not three of the double name. AGGGGHH. We now have a receipt for the trees. We will try to go and pick them up after lunch. What is the betting that they have now sold out of them.

Staff pitched up smack on time for their new start time of 07.00. We left them to it complete with a flask of tea. They are probably now asleep under a tree.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

angels
Capt
Capt

#2062 Post by angels » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am

Morning. An absolute autumnal belter here.

ExAscot - From what I understand about Africa I would say you had a bit of a result with your trees. Perhaps introducing some older generation Chinese could help. A mate of mine in Honkers had a fridge delivered for free by a bloke who was about 80 who had walked up the hill from Central to Mid-Levels with it on his head. :-o

If you bought furniture in Macau (a different country don't forget) they would say "0900 Tuesday". At 0859 on Tuesday you would hear a commotion in the lift area, the clock would hit 0900 -- knock, knock. And there would be your dresser. Bung the chaps a few quid to haul it into place. Done. Now in the U.K. you must pay to have it delivered several days in the future and they will give you something daft like an eight hour time gap on the day. This is from the industrial estate on Greenwich Peninsular, all of a mile or two away.

I suppose the above should be on the rant thread. Oh well. :-ss
All generalisations are false, including this one.

tony draper
Snr FO
Snr FO

#2063 Post by tony draper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:13 am

I have just been presented with a Scotch Egg, which was nice. :)

angels
Capt
Capt

#2064 Post by angels » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am

tony draper wrote:I have just been presented with a Scotch Egg, which was nice. :)

Funnily enough I bought a couple of large Scotch eggs from Marks the other day for a bargain 50p as they were on their use by date. Absolutely delish they were and it got me thinking that the last time I had a Scotch egg it was in my school lunchbox. I've been missing out.
All generalisations are false, including this one.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2065 Post by Wodrick » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:19 am

One is returning to the United Kingdom at Christmas time,for the first visit in nearly five years. One lives in hope of a fest of Scotch Eggs,Pork Pies and the like, although as we will be in Shakespeare Country quality might be an issue.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

reddo
Capt
Capt

#2066 Post by reddo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 am

Oh yes, nasty prang on the M1 a bit north of here. Trab force to Keef.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2067 Post by handsfree » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 am

The accident between J24 and J25 was caused by some bright spark driving the wrong way down the carriageway.
Two killed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2068 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:53 am

The problem with UK deliveries, I discovered by asking one of the delivery guys, is that the Great Unwashed conveniently forget to mention the 273 steps and the escaped tiger which need to be negotiated, and the kitchen that has to be rebuilt, before the new fridge can be 'delivered'. If they did mention them, they'd be charged extra, see? Needless to say they are all 83 year-old disabled persons of colour (even though they look white and 25, and just bone idle), and it takes another 15 minutes to get a decision from the duty manager to deliver it anyway gratis because it won't be worth the 'I know my rights' aggro which will result if they don't. And the muppet 'driver's assistant' they got from the agency went home at lunchtime with a bad back because he was asked to lift a clock-radio.

And this happens at least twice a day, so any delivery schedule would be pure guesswork. I can sympathise with them.

That was what the man who delivered my last washing machine said, anyway.

Out here, it's too remote for anyone except UPS to have a delivery system, so the last stage of all deliveries is done by the local firm. Their truck looks like it will fall apart any minute (much like my car, and indeed many other cars ;) ), but they handle the delivery with care, will leave it somewhere sensible if you're out, and pretty much turn up at 3:30pm +/- 10 minutes.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2069 Post by limeygal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:37 am

Morning all. Cooler today and definitely feels autumnal

Foxy-love the new avatar :-BD

Over here, things get pretty much delivered when they say they will, no complaints on that score. When we lived in Bahrain that was a bit challenging. If the salesperson was from the sub-continent, they had a habit of telling you what they thought you wanted to hear, not necessarily what was true. They tended to agree will whatever statement you made "can you deliver on Monday morning" "yes, madam, no problem." Whenever I heard those two words, I knew I would end up with a problem. It was like spitting in the wind-it always came back to kick you in the arse (a bit of a mixed metaphor there, but you get the gist) :)

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2070 Post by Ibbie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:52 am

Best delivery firm here is DHL followed by Seur, UPS, Correos (Correos Express is Fedex). Another outfit MRW should not be used under any circumstances

You really have me reminiscing today angels of Honkers and Macau
Some good times were had

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2071 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:01 am

Limeygal - yes, I noticed the same in Oman, from locals or Indians. To them, this isn't lying, it's just being polite. As best I can figure, everyone in planning&scheduling is called allah ;) and....

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ1-Mcq5pNM[/bbvideo]

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2072 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:13 am

I seriously dislike the red and yellow firm after an order of mine end up costing me 50% more due to their actions. The local branch of Fed Ex (a local company) is great.

I prefer to take delivery in the shop permises rather than wait in general.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2073 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:24 am

We have a choice of 2 red and yellow firms; the well known one and Bots carriers. Both are totally inefficient so use the well known one as their office is in a better location. 8-}
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2074 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:00 pm

telling you what they thought you wanted to hear

One local problem is that staff do not like admitting that the do not understand the question. So they tell you an item is 'out of stock', or that 'we don't sell that'!
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2075 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Wodrick wrote:One is returning to the United Kingdom at Christmas time,for the first visit in nearly five years. One lives in hope of a fest of Scotch Eggs,Pork Pies and the like, although as we will be in Shakespeare Country quality might be an issue.

Nothing like a Pork Farms Melton Mowbray Pork Pie - through the family of an ex-MrsC16 I used to know the original owner of Pork Farms, one Ken Parr. Although retired he used to visit with the most marvellous pork pies which he handmade for us. Not in his era but they used to have a company helicopter - inevitably it was known as the Pork Chopper.....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2076 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Gala Pie (basically a pork pie with a scotch egg in the middle) !!
A slice of this, with HP sauce and a big mug of tea was THE best after you'd just tanked 3 times and spent 5 hours airborne on some Navy lark, then become an instant snowman on the walk in from the flight line. Aircrew Rations (back when such a thing existed).

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#2077 Post by limeygal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:01 pm

Gala pie-yum. Used to have that at school. I was probably one of the few who really enjoyed school dinners. My grandmother was in service as a chef, but unless it was in aspic, she wasn't that great. Mum didn't let variety hinder her menus. We had the same meal on certain days of the week. Sunday was a joint (non hallucinogenic) Monday-cold leftovers with bubble and squeak, Tuesday-stew, Wednesday-steak and kidney pie, Thursday-I blessedly can't remember, Friday-fish (we weren't left footers), Saturday-mince and taters or if she was feeling very adventurous-shepherd's pie.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2078 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:04 pm

Pork Pies

May I recommend:Petch Butchers, Great Ayton.

Besides there being this terrific pork butchers, Great Ayton is a most picturesque place and is of interest as being where Capt. James Cook received his education.

The last time we were back in the UK we stayed in the nearby Royal Oak Hotel, the rooms were not the biggest, but terrific food and Theakstone's Bitter :x
Cynicism improves with age

lasernigel
Capt
Capt

#2079 Post by lasernigel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Good morning all. A tad tired this morning after a late night. Wasn't meant to be and was even drinking water. Sum total of 4.5 hrs sleep!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2080 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:33 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:Nothing like a Pork Farms Melton Mowbray Pork Pie

Fifty odd years ago, when hitch hiking in uniform was a wholly acceptable method of getting about, I used to hitch hike from Weston Super Mare to Nottingham whenever I has a long weekend pass. Have many memories of deliberately routing my trip via Melton Mowbray in order to gorge myself on Fleur de Lis chicken and mushroom pies, baked fresh there. The bakery had a shop front that was open 24 hours a day, and you could also get a mug of tea. Magic at 2.00am, when a cold and hungry airman turned up looking for sustenance. Happy days.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)