Amazon Prime + the Firestick

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Amazon Prime + the Firestick

#1 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:52 pm

I have just started using the streaming option for movies on this membership to find that the Firestick, unlike the Fire TV box, does not allow selection of movie definition. This results in a download of 14GB last night and 11 last Monday for two films. Not a problem for my 'unlimited' contract but definitely an issue for No 2 son whose ISP does not like big bandwidth useage, and I can see that 4 or 5 films streamed (around 50GB) by me a month could trigger my ISP to wave the 'FUP' flag especially if I do a few PC/Smartphone updates plus my usual FTP work, and for those on lesser contracts like satellite with 10GB a month - well............

I spoke with Amazon today and they confirmed the Firestick is not so equipped on Prime. You can select SD or HD for the download/purchase option but not for streaming. I see the internet has 2 year's-worth of complaints from Prime customers on this, who are 'threatening' to decamp to Netflix who apparently DO have the option for Firestick, so I have suggested to Big A that they do an upgrade on the Prime streaming service.

I and my son have our Firesticks set to boot at '720p' but this does not stop the system 'deciding' the download capability is good and switching into HD.

I am looking at QoS settings and a fixed IP address for the Firestick to see if that can help - if anyone has experience here I would appreciate help.