Flying Lemons...

MoreAviation

Flying Lemons...

#1 Post by MoreAviation » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:58 am

I was looking with wonder at Burt Rutan's oeuvre and wondered midst the bewildering and technologically innovative diversity if lurking in the mix was an aircraft that might he been a complete lemon. The closest I came to discovering anything of that sort was the ATAC Predator 480.

One of the lesser-known Rutan projects was the Predator 480 agplane, an unconventional single-engine high performance crop-duster canard aircraft designed by Burt Rutan after Advanced Technology Aircraft Co., Ltd. (or ATAC), contracted with Scaled Composites to design and build a proof-of-concept crop-duster. Although the chosen Predator layout developed as the Model 120 Predator was a canard type, it started life with a much-different joined-wing configuration as the Model 58/59 Predator design study. The Model 58/59 configuration was then dropped in favor of the more conventional Model 120-9E design. The only prototype built first flew in 1984. Two different types or airfoil were used on the canards after the first set showed poor performance.

This didn't prevent the Predator from crashing in Welsh, Louisiana, on Aug 21, 1985, after only 175 flight hours. The aircraft impacted the terrain in an uncontrolled descent, during the initial takeoff climb. The pilot reported that after takeoff at an altitude of approximately 20 ft. above ground level, the aircraft rolled 20 to 25 degrees to the right. After correcting for the roll, the pilot stated, the aircraft settled to ground impact. Witnesses reported the grass airstrip used for takeoff contained seven- to eight-inch high grass and it was wet from a two-inch rainfall on the previous day. A slight quartering tailwind was also reported to have been present at the time. The pilot was only slightly injured and the National Transportation Safety Board concluded that airspeed had been inadequate to maintain liftoff.

Perhaps not completely wrecked, the airframe seems to have since remained in storage as it still appears on civil registers as the property of ATAC, sole owner of the design. The Predator 480 eventually never made it into production after a severe design flaw was found in the main wing.

Well if you can't take off in relatively long grass with a slight tailwind in a crop duster then something may be wrong with your judgement but given that crop sprayers have to nudge these rules a little then something is probably far more wrong with the aircraft.

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/aircraft/pages/predator480.html

rutancd.JPG
rutancd.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 625 times

MA

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Flying Lemons...

#2 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:28 pm

I once had a book called 'The Worlds Worst Aircraft'.
I've lost it and attempted to replace it, to discover that there seems to have been more than one book with that title!

I keep telling people, that confusing me is NOT and achievement!

One chapter that I remember from the book, was about the Brewster Buffalo, it did seem to be a very good candidate to be worlds worst.

But, and isn't there always a but? The Finn's seemed to operated the Brewster Buffalo with some success, against the Russians. It seemed to like a cold climate.
Cynicism improves with age

MoreAviation

#3 Post by MoreAviation » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:36 pm

ian16th wrote:I once had a book called 'The Worlds Worst Aircraft'.
I've lost it and attempted to replace it, to discover that there seems to have been more than one book with that title!

I keep telling people, that confusing me is NOT and achievement!

One chapter that I remember from the book, was about the Brewster Buffalo, it did seem to be a very good candidate to be worlds worst.

But, and isn't there always a but? The Finn's seemed to operated the Brewster Buffalo with some success, against the Russians. It seemed to like a cold climate.

I am happy to say I own that book... this one I mean...

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Worst-Air ... XC4JJEQ55T

The Brewster Buffalo was a flop but Dr Christmas's con and his death trap was truly shocking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Bullet

MA

MoreAviation

#4 Post by MoreAviation » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:36 pm

The Edgley EA-7 Optica should, not on the face of it, be a flying lemons candidate. Designed primarily as a cheap replacement for a helicopter in the observation role, the aircraft has been around since the late 70's but the aircraft's history has been beset by financial issues with multiple parent companies and a fatal crash in 1985 (it seems like only yesterday) and fatigue cracking in the ducted fan assembly noted in 1990.

The aircraft was on show at Farnborough this year as Inteflight Global look to start production again. Useful perfomer or a flying lemon? I leave it to the cognoscenti here to decide.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVr3u6E66EM[/bbvideo]

Looking at a pilot's notes on the aircraft it seems to have some eccentric characteristics but all in all should be a winner and not a lemon, so why has it not really taken off?

http://www.tetsui.net/files/optica_flight_test1.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... G-KATY.pdf

MA

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 pm

I saw it at Farnborough, 1989 or 90, the driver was one of my boyhood hero's, Neville Duke!

It was an odd year for me. I had to attend 3 weeks of courses in Boston Ma.

I took a conscious decision not to lug all of my Pentax camera gear with me and only took SM's Instamatic!

While I was there I spent a weekend at Poughkeepsie and the Sunday at Old Rhinebeck.

I was travelling with BA via London and spending a weekend there on my way back to SA, when I got a message telling me he had Farnborough tickets for a Press day.

So I was at two major aviation events, without a proper camera =((
Cynicism improves with age

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by 500N » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:20 pm

ian16th wrote:I saw it at Farnborough, 1989 or 90, the driver was one of my boyhood hero's, Neville Duke!

Just looked him up, a very impressive record.

Squadron Leader Neville Frederick Duke DSO, OBE, DFC & Two Bars, AFC + 27 Kills.